Printer Friendly

Scott Nonwovens purchased by The InterTech Group.

After nearly two years of being on the market - the company has been for sale since January, 1991 - the 11th largest manufacturer of nonwoven roll goods, Scott Nonwovens, Philadelphia, PA, was recently sold to The InterTech Group, Charleston, SC. The sale, which became official on October 26, nets former parent company Scott Paper about $70 million after taxes, although the purchase price was not released.

Under the new management, Scott Nonwovens will change its name to FiberTech Group, which will be a subsidiary of the Polymer Group, which in turn is a member of The InterTech Group, a holding company with a number of subsidiaries that is listed by the South Carolina 100 as the second largest privately held company in South Carolina.

Interestingly, one of these subsidiary companies is nonwoven roll goods supplier Reemay, Inc., number 9 among the top worldwide companies. InterTech holds a 20% share in the company, although the organizational setup was changed this summer so Reemay instead reports to BBA, the company that owns the other 80% of the roll goods producer. Jerry Zucker, who runs The InterTech Group, stated that FiberTech and Reemay, which he said furnishes nonwovens to non-competing but complementary markets, will continue to be run completely independently of each other.

The sale, which has reportedly been in the works for months, includes Scott's Rogers, AR, Landisville, NJ and Neunkirchen, Germany facilities; all Scott Paper's health care, wipe and adult incontinence operations will remain separate.

John Cleaver, who has been head of Scott Nonwovens during the sale process, commented, "This is welcome news to all of us at Scott Nonwovens who have been looking forward to having our business acquired by an organization committed to investing in growth and technology diversification... The InterTech group is widely recognized as a technologically advanced and innovative organization...with an extensive background in fibers, resins and elastomeric and composite structures."

Management will not change substantially at the nonwovens manufacturer, with Mr. Cleaver remaining in charge of marketing, sales and research and development. His new title is vice president-marketing, sales and technology. The coordinator for the management team relating to Scott's nonwoven plants is James Schaeffer, who is located at the Landisville facility and becomes vice president-manufacturing. Mr. Zucker will hold the title of president of the new company. Gene Brown, former president of Scott Nonwovens, will not be part of the new business.

In a related agreement that will propel Scott Nonwovens into spunbonded technology, an area that has long been under consideration at the company, Scott (FiberTech) and Avgol Ltd., a manufacturer of spunbonded materials in Holon, Israel, have formed a joint venture called FiberGol.

The venture will market "FiberGol" spunbonded materials through Scott marketing channels; the venture also involves manufacturing on a new spunbonded line coming onstream at the Avgol facility in March. "The new materials coming off the line are unique and remarkable in terms of uniformity in lighter weights," commented Mr. Zucker of the agreement. Markets include absorbent products such as adult incontinence and baby diaper coverstock. The venture is already in place; both companies will be sharing exhibit space at this month's IDEA '92 show.
COPYRIGHT 1992 Rodman Publications, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Scott Paper Co. Scott Paper Nonwovens Div.
Publication:Nonwovens Industry
Date:Nov 1, 1992
Words:524
Previous Article:Machinery in action at ATME-I.
Next Article:May Coating purchase of Acumeter finalized.
Topics:


Related Articles
James River nonwovens purchased by Holzstoff.
Waiting for tomorrow's mail.
Industry analyzing immediate impact of Scott Nonwovens auction.
New name, new plans for FiberTech Group.
The year that was 1992.
After the sale ... Amoco activity continues; Amoco Fabrics & Fibers continues consolidation of Phillips Fibers business.
Knowlton completes Chris Craft Nonwovens purchase.
InterTech enters agrement to purchase J&J AMC.
BBA on the verge of closing deal with Holvis.
Glatfelter buys wetlaid mills.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters