Printer Friendly

iPod dock sparks student halls fire.

A FAULTY iPod docking station sparked a student block evacuation.

Nearly 50 students had to be evacuated from Bangor University's Cefn y Coed halls of residence at about 10pm on Monday.

The iPod docking station in one of the student's rooms went up in smoke, which was thought to be because of an overloaded extension plug.

No damage was caused to the accommodation, but it set off automatic fire alarms and the room had to be ventilated.

Nobody was injured in the incident.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service chiefs said they would again visit the university to give students safety advice.

A Bangor University spokeswoman said: "A total of 48 students from Cefn y Coed's L block were evacuated following the incident.

"All 2,500 residents of the student halls will be attending a compulsory fire safety talks next week."

A NWFRS spokeswoman said: "We were called at 10.01pm to an incident at Cefn y Coed Halls of Residence. There was a full evacuation of that hall."

She added: "We are attending their Serendipity Freshers fair to try and educate them and encourage them to join our Facebook page to get over fire safety messages in a way that they enjoy."
COPYRIGHT 2010 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Sep 22, 2010
Words:203
Previous Article:She called pupil 'you sexy thing' TEACHER, 29, IS SUSPENDED FOR RELATIONSHIP WITH TEEN BOY.
Next Article:We've got new super mountain.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters