Printer Friendly

i WILL SURVIVE; Boy and gadget unscathed after Alps ski tumble.

Byline: Boy unscathed By GEORGINA STUBBS ECHO Reporter georgina.stubbs@trinitymirror.com georginafstubbs @

A TEENAGER who plunged 2,500ft down a mountain says he was surprised to find his iPhone had also survived the fall.

Jack Fox, from Crossens, near Southport, who is recovering at home after his Austrian skiing ordeal, also wants to encourage others to wear helmets, as he says his saved his life.

twitter Join us twitter @LivEcho News The 14-yearold, who attends Tarleton Academy and wants to be a nuclear power engineer, fell on the last run of the last day of a school skiing trip in the Alps during half term.

He suffered ice burns to his arms but miraculously survived the ordeal relatively unhurt. And Jack's iPhone 4s, containing the last picture he took, also survived the fall.He said: "The battery goes quite quickly now, but there is not a crack on it. After I had stopped falling I just saw it there and tried to turn it on but it wouldn't. Then, when I got to the hospital and it had dried out, it turned on."

Mum Amanda, 41, said Jack had been hoping for a new iPhone 6 if his current 4s model had been broken in the fall.

She said: "Jack has been after an iPhone 6 for ages and when it wouldn't turn on, he thought he was going to get a new one. But we are glad it came on because that was when he first spoke to me. My husband had been told that he had been airlifted off, but we didn't know about any injuries. His phone coming back on was like it was meant to be."

twitter us on LivEcho " Jack said: "I was facing forwards taking pictures of the scenery, and I was about to put my phone away when I started to slip and lose my footing. I was shouting for help as I was falling - but then I couldn't because I had snow in my mouth."

Amanda said: "Jack said when he got to the bottom of the mountain he knew he hadn't broken anything as everything moved." At the top of the mountain, Jack said a lot of people had taken their helmets off to take photos. His mum Amanda said: "Luckily he hadn't, because his helmet was all smashed. Kids think helmets are not cool but Jack has now realised that they are."

"It was cracked and bits had fallen off it," said Jack, "As I was going down I was trying to stop myself by digging my boots in, but it flipped me over and hit my head - it was a scary experience and was the first time I've ever thought I was going to die."

He added: "You do need a helmet. It has saved my life."

After being airlifted off the mountain near Salzburg, in Austria, Jack was treated at Alder Hey for severe ice burns.

He said: "As I fell, my jacket pushed up to my elbows and I got to one point when I started to slow down and I moved over on to one arm because the other one was hurting. That is when the left arm went bad."

Amanda said Jack's left arm was "quite a mess".

She added: "He is lucky to be here. It could have been a totally different story.

"He is here and can tell the tale, which is the important thing."

CAPTION(S):

Jack Fox - suffered | |severe ice burns in the fall

Jack Fox with the | |last picture he took on his iPhone before the accident Picture: RICHARD WILLIAMS

COPYRIGHT 2015 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Liverpool Echo (Liverpool, England)
Date:Mar 5, 2015
Words:601
Previous Article:Crucial role maintaining safety in busy air space; Careers in ... air traffic controlling The sky's the limit for Claire Reid as she finds out more...
Next Article:Palios: Fans right to vent frustration.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters