LeapFrog Turns Summer Brain Drain into Summer Brain Gain.
[[para]]LeapFrog Summer Camp is helping parents keep children learning and engaged with its free program of printables, activities, articles, videos and more.[[/para]]
EMERYVILLE, Calif., June 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Launching this week is LeapFrog's free eight week Summer Camp program to keep kids engaged and learning all summer long -- turning summer brain drain into summer brain gain. Each week parents will receive a set of tools selected by LeapFrog's Learning Team that include free printables, activities, articles, videos and more to help parents and children have a fun-filled holiday and combat summer learning loss. The program has already received over 20,000 sign ups.
The summer months can have a negative impact on children's academic progress, especially in the subject areas of mathematics and science[sup.1]. The "summer brain drain" can result in children losing one to three months of learning[sup.2]. One of the problems with this learning loss is that teachers may need to spend weeks or even months playing catch-up in the Fall when school resumes.
"We wanted to take a positive approach by turning the summer brain drain into summer brain gain," said Dr. Jody Sherman LeVos, director of LeapFrog's Learning Team. "At LeapFrog, we are focused on helping children get the best start in life. By offering free resources that make summer learning fun for both parents and children, we can encourage a child's love of learning and help them stay on track beyond the classroom."
LeapFrog created the Summer Camp program to provide access to free, fun, educational content that includes a United States map coloring page, tips on how to cook up math fun in the kitchen, a numbers and colors bingo game, and creative art projects with favorite characters and songs. The eight week program has a different theme each week, with materials covering skills in math, reading, science, creativity, and more. Plus, parents and children get a chance to win a weekly prize pack valued at $250. LeapFrog's Summer Camp is specifically designed for children between the ages of three and eight, and runs for eight weeks, beginning June 22, 2015. Participating partners include Honest Kids, CLIF Kid, Reading is Fundamental and Toys 'R Us.
In addition to participating in the LeapFrog Summer Camp program, there are easy tips that parents, grandparents and caregivers can follow to keep children actively learning while having fun during the summer months:
1. Go on field trips . Let the child be in charge of planning a small aspect of the trip, such as what to pack in your picnic lunch.
* Encourage children to be inquisitive and observant as they see new places and meet new people. Show them that learning can occur beyond the walls of their classroom, and more importantly, that learning is FUN!
* These field trips are also a great way to keep minds and bodies active. One study has found that children gain weight three times faster during the summer months, often gaining as much during the summer as they do during the rest of the year combined[sup.3]. In the absence of PE classes, recess, and sports classes, it's important to keep children active and healthy during the summer.
2. Let the child be the teacher. Play school, and have children do the teaching by sharing something new, reading a book out loud, or walking through the steps he or she takes to solve a mathematics equation.
3. Harness the power of educational technology . Technology can be a useful teaching tool, especially while on the go. Mobile devices can keep kids entertained while they learn, if given the right tools. Look for devices and content designed to address specific learning objectives that are developmentally appropriate, and fun.
For more information and to sign-up, please visit http://leapfrog.com/summercamp and share our infographic http://www.leapfrog.com/summerinfographic to help other parents and children turn summer brain drain into summer brain gain.
About LeapFrog LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. is the leader in innovative solutions that encourage a child's curiosity and love of learning throughout their early developmental journey. For 20 years, LeapFrog has helped children expand their knowledge and imagination through award-winning products that combine state-of-the-art educational expertise led by the LeapFrog Learning Team, innovative technology, and engaging play -- turning playtime into quality time. LeapFrog's proprietary learning tablets and ground-breaking developmental games, learn to read and write systems, interactive learning toys and more are designed to create personalized experiences that encourage, excite and build confidence in children. LeapFrog is based in Emeryville, California, and was founded in 1995 by a father who revolutionized technology-based learning solutions to help his child learn how to read. Learn more at www.leapfrog.com. LeapFrog Ahead.
TM & (c) 2015 LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Reading is Fundamental Report (May, 2015) 2. National Summer Learning Association - More than a Hunch: Kids Lose Learning Skills Over the Summer Months 2. National Summer Learning Association - Summertime and Weight Gain
|[[para]] Media Contacts: [[/para]]|
LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc.
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150623/224880-INFO Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090219/LFLOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/leapfrog-turns-summer-brain-drain-into-summer-brain-gain-300103119.html</a>
SOURCE LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc.