Your membership dues at work.
An important agenda item for the MTNA Board of Directors annual summer meeting is to approve the Operating budget for the 2005-2006 fiscal year. The work of the MTNA finance committee, a subcommittee of the Board of Directors, precedes this review. Membership on the finance committee is as follows: Secretary-Treasurer Kathleen Rountree, NCTM, who serves as chair; the MTNA president; the immediate past president, Phyllis Pieffer, NCTM; the president-elect, Gail Berenson, NCTM; one director elected from the board, Roy Wylie, NCTM; and the executive director, Gary Ingle. The deputy executive director, Marge Bengel, also works with the finance committee. The finance committee makes recommendations to the board of directors in regard to all expenditures and monitors the budget throughout the year.
MTNA receives approximately 52 percent of its income from member dues. The other 48 percent comes from a variety of sources including the national conference, competitions, publications, royalties/sales, investment income and the FOUNDATION FUND. From this income, MTNA funds the programs and services provided to the membership, such as American Music Teacher magazine, the annual conference, national competitions, teacher enrichment grants, personal and professional insurance, and a whole lot more. We are proud of the fact that 76 percent of our income supports programs and services, while only 24 percent funds our administrative costs.
MTNA also provides programs and services, and support for our state and local affiliates, including such areas as the general liability insurance for events, dues collection, ASCAP licensing fees for all our affiliated associations, composer commissioning matching awards for state associations, and IRS fees associated with 501(c)(3) group exemption capability for all our affiliated associations. Programs also include the very successful annual leadership summit for state presidents and national officers. Members also benefit from the national competitions program, our National Conference with Pedagogy Saturday, expanded group teaching and technology formats and our enhanced website.
MTNA is committed to providing services and resources to our members that will advance the value of music study and music making. The MTNA board of directors and the dedicated staff, under Executive Director Gary Ingle, are making every effort to provide you with the most benefit for your investment in MTNA.
MTNA Budgeted Income 2005-2006 Dues 52% Award Sponsorship 1% Conference 23% Division Competition 0% Foundation Fund 3% Investment Income 1% National Competition 3% Certification 1% Publications 13% Royalties/Sales 3% Note: Table made from pie chart. MTNA Budgeted Expense 2005-2006 Administration 23% Contingency 1% Cost of Sales 0% Fixed Assets/Equity 1% Programs and Services 75% Note: Table made from pie chart. BUDGET 6/30/06 INCOME: (CHART 3) DUES 1,224,715 52% AWARD SPONSORSHIP 28,300 1% CONFERENCE 553,105 23% DIVISION COMPETITION 10,720 0% FOUNDATION FUND 81,800 3% INVESTMENT INCOME 18,000 1% NATIONAL COMPETITION 78,645 3% CERTIFICATION 20,450 1% PUBLICATIONS 302,500 13% ROYALTIES/SALES 68,500 3% 2,386,735 100% EXPENSE: (CHART 4) ADMINISTRATION 557,351 23% CONTINGENCY 31,845 1% COST OF SALES 8,500 0% FIXED ASSETS/EQUIPMENT 25,300 1% PROGRAMS & SERVICES * 1,763,739 75% 2,386,735 100% SURPLUS 0 * DETAIL-PROGRAMS & SERVICES: Ascap Licensing Fees 8,414 Certification 40,195 Composer Commissioning 27,956 Conference 398,960 Foundation Development 96,027 Gen'l Liability Ins-State & Local 15,035 General Programs * 37,696 Grants & Awards-other 40,522 Leadership Development 55,358 Marketing/Public Relations 40,957 Member Development & Retention 111,298 Membership Maintenance 143,260 MTNA Competition: Division Competition 138,637 National Competition Expense 45,391 Awards 63,661 Partnership Development 16,607 Publications 415,704 Website 68,061 1,763,739
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||National Association News; Music Teachers National Association|
|Publication:||American Music Teacher|
|Date:||Dec 1, 2005|
|Previous Article:||An overview of pedagogical piano repertoire by contemporary Korean composers.|
|Next Article:||MTNA supports members affected by Hurricane Katrina.|