Printer Friendly

Your chip shop should stay shut; Anger after fish bar in E.coli outbreak probe tries to reopen.


PEOPLE living near the chip shop at the centre of an E.coli outbreak probe say the owner should not have applied to reopen until the probe is complete.

Last week Ramazan Aslan applied to Wrexham County Borough Council to reopen his Fish Bar shop in Llay.

But yesterday locals said he should have waited until investigations were finished into the source of the E.coli 0157 outbreak.

The chip shop was shut following an outbreak which left four people ill. The only known common factor between the victims was they had all eaten food from the fish bar.

Although the source has not yet been identified Mr Aslan has reapplied to the council for his operating certificate.

Yesterday Christine Williams of Llay said: "I used to use the chip shop.

"I think he should have Chip Ramazan waited until they had finished their investigations."

David Jones, also of Llay, said: "I don't understand why he didn't wait until after the investigations.

"That way you would know where the outbreak has come from. At the moment we don't know."

owner Aslan And another nearby neighbour who did not wish to be named said: "I don't think he should have applied to reopen until after the investigation.

"People are still very concerned about what has gone on and want answers."

The application was made last week.

Toni Slater, Wrexham council's public protection service manager, said: "The owner of the Llay Fish Bar formally notified the authority on August 18, 2009 that he intends to reopen.

"The food safety team have 15 days to consider his application.

"We are still awaiting information from him and we will not issue a certificate allowing him to reopen unless we are completely satisfied.

"The public protection department will seek legal advice on the matter."

Piers Bartlett, the solicitor acting for Mr Aslan, said his client was devastated by what had happened.

But he said there had been no indication from any of the investigations so far the chip shop was the source of the outbreak.

The council will not be making the results of the investigation public into the source. They said the decision was taken because it was an on-going investigation and to avoid prejudicing any potential prosecution.

New mum Karen Morrisroe-Clutton was left in a critical condition at Wrexham Maelor hospital.

Three-year-old Abigail Hennessey of Llay who was rushed to Alder Hey children's hospital at Liverpool is now back home and on the mend.

Two other women contracted E.coli, a 23-year-old and 32-year-old, but their conditions were not serious.


Fish Bar shop in Llay
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Aug 26, 2009
Previous Article:Holiday family flee chalet as fuse box erupts; Safety checks up to date, say park bosses.
Next Article:Caring sector looks for recruits.

Related Articles
E.coli probe chippy was told to clean up... A YEAR AGO; Inspectors gave it zero stars... now two customers fight for their lives in hospital.
'It's terrible that more people are having to go through this' North Wales E.coli outbreak brings back painful memories for Mason Jones' mum.
3-year-old E.coli victim 'improving' Results of fish bar probe due next week.
E.coli probe chippy applies to reopen; Council have two weeks to decide fate.
E.COLI PROBE CHIPPY TO REOPEN; SSttoommaacchh bbuugg oouuttbbrreeaakk ffuurryy: We're powerless to stop it, says council, as AM calls for law change.
We can't stop him opening chip shop; E.COLI PROBE TAKEAWAY PASSED FIT.
E.coli probe chip shop to reopen.
E.coli probe chippy opens.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters