Printer Friendly

Woman who had sepsis wins payout after suing doctor.

Byline: Jack Evans News Reporter

AWOMAN who was left in a four week coma and almost died after she developed sepsis following a gastric sleeve operation has won a payout after suing her GP.

Laura Battrum, 38, weighed 22 stone when she decided to undergo weight loss surgery in a bid to increase her chances of starting a family back in January 2017.

She later visited her GP after she began to feel severely unwell following the procedure but was told to "go home and take paracetamol" despite having tell-tale signs of sepsis.

Just over a week later Ms Battrum - who dropped 10 stone as a result of the op - was rushed to hospital with a perforated bowel.

She was placed in an induced coma and spent four months at Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital as doctors battled to save her life.

At one point, she was given just three days to live and she now has a permanent stoma bag which needs changing up to 12 times a day.

Ms Battrum, of King's Heath, Birmingham, has also been told that she will struggle to conceive naturally following her ordeal.

She has now won an undisclosed payout after successfully suing the GP who dismissed her symptoms with the help of medical negligence lawyers.

Ms Battrum is also warning of the dangers of sepsis as she prepares to use some of the money to fund IVF in the hope of having a baby with partner Steve Curson.

She said: "At first I thought my pain must just have been me recovering from the sleeve surgery.

"However it seemed to be getting worse. It got to the point where I was struggling to remain conscious so Steve called an ambulance. "After that I don't really remember anything until I was brought out of my coma.

"It was then when the reality of how seriously ill I had been hit. The doctors said it really had been touch and go whether I was going to make it.

"Life has been a struggle ever since. I still suffer from fatigue and tire really easily. I'm conscious of my stoma.

"We can't be spontaneous and just go off for the day. If I want to go out I have to plan everything in advance and know what facilities are close by.

"Me and Steve always wanted a family and thought the surgery would be the start of a new part of our lives.

"However, doctors have told me that I will struggle to conceive naturally because of my injuries so the only option is IVF.

"I've also been told that the chances of that being successful are also greatly reduced because of what I've been through.

"We always wanted two children but to now think that we may not be able to have any is incredibly upsetting.

"I did not really know much about sepsis and how dangerous it can be before I fell ill.

"I now just want others to realise how dangerous it can be and how important it is to be aware of the possibly signs of the condition."

Ms Battrum underwent gastric sleeve surgery on January, 3 2017, and was discharged the following day.

But four days later she developed a rash on her hands and started complaining of pain when urinating.

She visited a GP two days later when the rash started spreading. She was prescribed steroids used to treat allergies.

Her partner, 40, made an emergency GP appointment for Laura on January 20 concerned that she had a fever, was breathless and needed to be supported to stand up.

Over the coming days Ms Battrum's condition continued to deteriorate and Steve phoned the NHS 111 helpline on January 29.

She was taken to hospital by ambulance and was diagnosed with a perforated bowel following tests.

She had emergency surgery in the early hours of January 30 and underwent six further procedures to remove infected tissue from her body.

Ms Battram was woken from her coma on February 27 and discharged home on May 23, 2017.

She was in and out of hospital for the rest of 2017 due to illness and problems with her stoma.

She continues to suffer with mobility problems and fatigue. Ms Battrum couldn't return to her job as a health and social assessor for two years.

Lawyers acting on behalf of Laura said the GP, through their insurer, agreed an undisclosed settlement after they had denied liability. They argued that during the appointment of January 20, 2017, the GP failed to carry out a number of crucial tests, including taking Laura's blood pressure.

We always wanted two children but to think that we may not be able to have any is incredibly upsetting


Laura Battrum in hospital and, left, with partner Steve Curson
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2021 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:Jack Evans News Reporter
Publication:The Birmingham Post (England)
Date:Sep 23, 2021
Previous Article:New funds appeal to keep Milk Carton Kids dig going.
Next Article:Drug driver jailed after tanker crash.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |