Printer Friendly

Woman head-butted man in row over taxi.

Byline: PAUL BEARD Court Reporter

A DRUNK social worker headbutted a man and called a club manager 'white trash' during a late-night row over a taxi, a court heard.

Shaheen Khan, 42, may now lose her job following the incident in Sutton Coldfield. She pleaded guilty at Warwick Crown Court to assault by beating and racially aggravated common assault following the incident outside Boldmere Sports and Social Club. Khan, of Elizabeth Road, Sutton Coldfield, was given a 12-month community sentence and ordered to do 150 hours of unpaid work and to pay PS530 costs.

Prosecutor Rebecca Wade said Khan went to the club in Boldmere Road with her eight-year-old son and a friend in December.

She was considering applying for membership and discussed the matter with manager Hayley O'Grady who invited her to stay for a drink.

But a court heard Khan "'consumed a considerable amount of alcohol" during the evening, before finally leaving in the early hours of the morning.

Also leaving at that time was Tony Barnes, his partner and their children, having ordered a taxi which they got into - but Khan also climbed in with her son.

When she was asked to get out, an argument ensued during which she drunkenly stated: "It's my taxi now."

The court heard Mr Barnes generously suggested his partner should escort the social worker home in the taxi, and that he would go back into the club in the meantime.

But he then received a call explaining that the driver had said he was only licensed to carry four people, and had asked Khan to get out.

When he went outside, he saw the social worker flailing around in the taxi - kicking out and throwing her arms around.

As Mr Barnes tried to get her out of the cab she headbutted him twice.

They managed to get her out but, as Mrs O'Grady tried to calm things down, Khan called her 'white trash' and punched her to the cheek, causing a bruise and a small cut inside her mouth.

David Munro, defending, said: "She was under pressures by the time of this regrettable and unfortunate incident.

"She has managed to carve herself two successful careers, ending up working as the manager of a care home where she had 22 staff, but that was closed due to financial constraints.

"She is now working parttime trying to assist young people settle after they leave the care of the local authority, but it is almost certainly an occupation that's going to be lost following the hearing today. This was an evening which went horribly and sadly wrong" Mr Munro explained that Khan's closest friend had died, and she was due to speak at the funeral the next day, which was weighing heavily, and her mother had a congenital heart problem.


Shaheen Khan

COPYRIGHT 2018 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Birmingham Mail (England)
Date:Aug 20, 2018
Next Article:Watch top concerts at home... via virtual reality.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters