Printer Friendly

Woman died after taking a fatal amount of prescribed tablets.

A PENARTH housewife died after she took more than five times the amount of her prescription drug than recommended.

Deputy coroner for Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, Christopher Woolley, recorded an open verdict on the death of Louise Lloyd because there were so many factors indicting that she believed she may have been discovered after taking a large amount of her prescription anti-depressants.

The Cardiff inquest heard that Mrs Lloyd, who was 50, had separated from her husband Nicholas last year, and her daughter Joanne emigrated to Australia shortly before her death on May 29 this year.

The day before her death Mrs Lloyd had gone to her sister Heather Haysham's home at Cwrt Eirlys, Barry, where she visited regularly since her separation. Ms Haysham and her partner Peter Farham left to attend a party at around 1.30pm, but Mrs Lloyd stayed at their home drinking lager.

When Ms Haysham and Mr Farnham returned home the next morning there was nothing out of the ordinary apart from empty medication boxes on the kitchen table.

It was then that Mr Farnham discovered Mrs Lloyd upstairs, face down on the bedroom floor.

Dr Richard Anttanoos performed a post-mortem examination on Mrs Lloyd and discovered multiple tablets in her stomach and alcohol, though the latter was not a significant quantity.

The pathologist stated that Mrs Lloyd had "3.4mg per litre of chloropromazine in her blood when the fatal levels are over 1mg in every litre, and 21mg per litre of venlafaxine when the fatal level is over 4mg per litre".

Mr Woolley said in his summing up: "Mrs Lloyd may well have been expecting, even though she had taken a lot of drugs, people to come in and realise and take appropriate action.

"I do not feel that it's possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Louise intended to take her own life."

He referred to the facts that her niece and nephew were likely to be at the house at some point and that she had texted a friend, Richard Jones, to come over to her sister's house that night. A statement from Mr Jones was read out at the inquest saying he did not receive the messages and missed calls from Mrs Lloyd as his phone had been turned off.

The cause of Mrs Lloyd's death was multiple drug toxicity.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2011 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Aug 27, 2011
Previous Article:Cyclists asked to show support for injured Paralympian Simon.
Next Article:874 DRIVERS FLEE SCENE OF ACCIDENTS IN YEAR; Safety group calls for new 14-year penalty in response to shock level of hit-and-runs.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters