Printer Friendly

Woman, 30, died sleeping rough after an overdose.

Byline: OLIVIA KELLEHER

A YOUNG woman died from an accidental drugs overdose while sleeping rough in a tent, a coroner's court heard yesterday.

The inquest was also told Jennifer Dennehy had been evicted from a flat after her rent allowance was cut off.

The 30-year-old was sleeping at Gillabey Park in Cork when she was found unresponsive by a friend.

Ian Drummey said Ms Dennehy was on crutches following a fall when they pitched the tent on August 31, 2017.

He added he started a fire and they smoked some cannabis before he went to sleep at 2am.

When he went to sleep Ms Dennehy was watching videos on her phone and at 11am the following day he noticed she wasn't moving.

Mr Drummey said: "I got up and saw her lips were blue. I checked for her pulse but couldn't find one."

He said the Cork woman was addicted to a painkiller but that he didn't witness her taking tablets on the night of her death.

Coroner Philip Comyn heard Ms Dennehy had mental health issues while a postmortem revealed she died of polydrug toxicity.

The court heard she was not suicidal as she planned to seek treatment and a verdict of misadventure was recorded.

CAPTION(S):

EVIDENCE Ian Drummey

COPYRIGHT 2018 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Jan 19, 2018
Words:211
Previous Article:[euro]130K FOR POLITICIANS PADDY'S DAY JUNKETS; Shamrock, sliotars and sweets on gift list; Eight new countries added for this year's trips;...
Next Article:Oh snow, not again; Ireland faces more misery as wintry showers return.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters