Printer Friendly

Woman's nose bitten off at wake for tragic Jordan.

Byline: Sophie Barley Crime Reporter

A WOMAN had her nose bitten off at the wake of a young Guisborough footballer who died in a car accident.

The 23-year-old woman was at the Quoit Club in Guisborough where Jordan Dowson's wake was being held following his funeral.

The woman was assaulted outside the club on Tuesday night and had her nose bitten off.

She was taken to Middlesbrough's James Cook University Hospital by ambulance.

A family member said she was due to have plastic surgery treatment on her nose yesterday.

A 20-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent.

She was still in police custody yesterday.

Onlookers said the club was "packed" with mourners following Jordan's funeral.

Following the attack at about 7.55pm police and ambulance attended.

One onlooker said: "I have never seen so many police cars in my life. There were loads. And there were a lot of people stood around in the street."

One woman who was at the wake said: "There were so many people in the club, it was packed.

"Everyone was being well behaved and there was no issues up until that.

"The incident happened in the street. Nothing happened in the club.

"The woman had her nose bitten off. "Police and ambulance came and she was taken to hospital. As far as we know she is OK. We heard that she needed plastic surgery though."

The club was briefly closed following the incident.

A spokesman for the Quoit Club said: "The event was going well and everybody was well behaved apart from one incident.

"When it happened the police were called and we closed the club.

"We reopened one room of the club later under the instruction of the police."

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police said: "Police were called to the Quoit Social Club in Guisborough at around 7.55pm last night to reports of a woman with serious facial injuries, who was subsequently taken to hospital by ambulance.

"A 20-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 wounding with intent and remains in police custody.

Jordan, 19, tragically died when the car in which he was a passenger was involved in a three-vehicle accident on the A174 Brotton bypass.

Hundreds of people attended his funeral on Tuesday at St Nicholas Church in Guisborough.

Witnesses are asked to contact police on the non-emergency 101 number or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0845 555 111.


The Quoit Club, Guisborough, where the wake of Jordan Dowson, inset, took place 260214CLUB_01 KATIE LUNN
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Feb 27, 2014
Previous Article:Kiddiwinks' market is set for Stockton.
Next Article:Six reasons why you should eat lemons.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters