Printer Friendly

Wheelchair accessible vans.


LT has a 12-year-old son with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy and is looking for information on how to locate and find funding for a wheelchair-accessible van.

I suggest you look to charitable organizations as well as your state Developmental Disabilities Administration. Possibilities of sources are: Knights of Columbus, United Cerebral Palsy, Masons, Easter Seals, possibly a sorority or fraternity at a local college or university. Some churches may be willing to help as well. As far as state agencies are concerned, look around for the organizations that support people with disabilities in your area such as state rehab services, the state regional office on disabilities, and DDA or ask at your child's school if the special ed teachers know what agencies are specific to your area. Because your child has not yet reached age 21, you have a much better chance of actually getting funding than an adult would. You will probably have to make a lot of phone calls and write your share of letters to get any help at all. You may have an easier time trying to get one organization to provide a van, another to pay for the lift and tiedowns. In my case, I originally bought a used van and got the state of Maryland to provide the lift and tie-downs. The nice thing about the lift and tie-downs is that if you take care of them, they will easily last you 10 years. As of right now, I am making payments on a new van, using the old lift and tie-downs, and the state is helping to pay for the new van. I know how hard your job is, and I know how alone you feel, especially when you are lifting your child in and out of the van. It's really hard work. You are not alone though. We're out here, and we care.
COPYRIGHT 2007 EP Global Communications, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:RESPOND; spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy
Publication:The Exceptional Parent
Article Type:Letter to the editor
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Mar 1, 2007
Previous Article:Nanny care.
Next Article:Sleep concerns.

Related Articles
Real people, real technology, real solutions.
Cerebral palsy and sports: athletes ask, "who says we can't?"
Sports and recreation: many rewards, but barriers exist.
Working It Out.
Achieving Freedom and Independence with Vantage Mobility International.
Search & Respond.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters