* Seagull Manager: A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, dumps over everything and then leaves
* Salmon day: An entire day spent swimming upstream only to die in the end.
* CLM (Career Limiting Move): Used among microserfs to describe ill-advised activity. (Trashing your boss while he or she is within earshot is a serious CLM.)
* Adminisphere: The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the adminisphere are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve.
* Flight Risk: Used to describe employees who are suspected of planning to leave the company or department soon.
* 404: Someone who's clueless (From the World Wide Web error message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be located. Used as in: "Don't bother asking him -- he's 404, man.")
* Generica: Features of the U.S. landscape that are exactly the same no matter where one is, such as fast-food joints, strip malls, and subdivisions.
* Ohno-sccond: That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake.
* Percussive Maintenance: The fine art of whacking the @#$%& out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
* Umfriend: A sexual relation of dubious standing or a concealed intimate relationship, as in "This is [name], my ... um ... friend."
* Idea Hamsters: People who always seem to have their idea generators running.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||New Hampshire Business Review|
|Date:||Dec 29, 2000|
|Previous Article:||Growing by degrees.|
|Next Article:||Nashua: Shadowland?|