Printer Friendly

Washington's Substance Abuse Costs Billions.

The cost of untreated alcohol and drug abuse in Washington state totaled an estimated $2.54 billion in 1996, according to a recent report by the Center for Substance Abuse Research. This is a substantial increase over the 1990 estimate of $1.81 billion. The Washington State Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse reported that the majority of these costs stemmed from substance abuse-related premature mortality ($929 million), crime ($541 million) and morbidity ($369 million). Approximately $160 million was spent to provide treatment. The report concluded that alcohol abuse accounted for approximately 59 percent of the total costs and other drugs for the remaining 41 percent.
COPYRIGHT 1999 American Correctional Association, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1999 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:Harry, Jennifer L.
Publication:Corrections Today
Article Type:Brief Article
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Dec 1, 1999
Previous Article:Letter to the Editor.
Next Article:Electrocution in Florida Unconstitutional?

Related Articles
New hope for the alcoholic.
Three universities recognized for combating alcohol abuse.
Drug-assessment instruments: making wise choices.
Qualitative epidemiologic methods can improve local prevention programming among adolescents.
Mental health counselors and substance abuse treatment: advantages, difficulties, and practical issues to solution-focused interventions.
Cognitive impairment and substance abuse: implications for treatment planning.
Screening detects alcohol, drug abuse problems: new codes for health providers released to improve reimbursement.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters