Printer Friendly

Warnock is at his wits End; Coca Cola FOOTBALL LEAGUE ROUND-UP.

NEW recruit Barry Nicholson was on the scoresheet to maintain Preston's 100 per cent start to their Coca-Cola Championship campaign and leave Crystal Palace boss Neil Warnock fuming.

Former Aberdeen midfielder Nicholson - who joined North End on a Bosman transfer in July - hit the back of the net with a low shot in the 58th minute after Callum Davidson's cross caused panic in the Eagles defence.

Fellow midfielder Richard Chaplow added a clinical second in the closing stages to seal Preston's third win of the season in all competitions.

The strikes were no more than North End deserved but Warnock could not contain his anger in the 63rd minute when James Scowcroft looked to have been blatantly pushed in the back by home goalkeeper Andy Lonergan.

Referee Andy Woolmer ignored the vehement visiting claims for a penalty - much to Warnock's disgust, whose pain was compounded by Chaplow's injury-time clincher.

Billy Sharp scored his first hat-trick for Sheffield United to give the Blades a 3-0 victory over QPR.

The former Scunthorpe striker headed in the first after only three minutes then followed up with right-footed (13) and left-footed (51) efforts.

Doncaster looked set to continue their dream start to life in the Championship when Lewis Guy opened the scoring against Cardiff (67) but Ross McCormack earned the Welsh side a 1-1 draw two minutes from time.

Reading earned their first win since relegation with a 2-0 victory over Plymouth, defender Ibrahima Sonko scoring twice, while Tommy Smith's goal was enough for Watford to beat Charlton 1-0.

The Addicks' hopes of a second-half revival were dented by the dismissal of Kelly Youga on the stroke of half-time for a foul on Tamas Priskin.

Norwich and Blackpool had to settle for a 1-1 draw at Carrow Road. Ben Burgess netted a 55th-minute penalty but Darel Russell equalised for the hosts (74).

Most of the drama at Burnley came off the pitch when a parachutist landed on the roof of a stand prior to kickoff, delaying the start against Ipswich for an hour.

Seven parachutists had been due to land on the Turf Moor pitch, but one went wayward and the fire brigade were called to get the parachutist down.

First-half goals from Liam Trotter and Kevin Lisbie and an own goal from Stephen Jordan were enough to eventually give Ipswich the points.
COPYRIGHT 2008 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Aug 17, 2008
Previous Article:SAINT KEV SAVES DAY; Phillips is Blues hero once more.
Next Article:Vale boss in plea to fans after defeat; PORT VALE 0 ACCRINGTON 2.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters