Printer Friendly

Warning over higher bills as subsidies end.

Byline: Rachel Wearmouth Regional Affairs Reporter

NORTHUMBERLAND wind farm campaigners have reacted with delight at news the Government plans to slash a key onshore subsidy - but others fear the move may push up energy bills.

Energy Secretary Amber Rudd has unveiled plans to end a subsidies scheme for new wind onshore wind farms a year early.

It comes after numerous schemes in rural Northumberland were given planning permission over the last Parliament, despite campaigns against them from villagers.

Environmental campaigners have criticised the Conservatives for attacking the cheapest form of clean energy, while saying they want to cut carbon. They claim the policy will push up energy bills, as support will go to more expensive forms of low-carbon energy to meet targets to tackle climate change.

Industry figures, meanwhile, say thousands of jobs and millions of pounds of investment across the UK will be left hanging in the balance.

Industry body RenewableUK chief executive Maria McCaffery said the decision sent a "chilling signal" to all investors right across the UK's infrastructure sectors, and would inevitably mean fuel bills go up. It means this Government is quite prepared to pull the rug from under the feet of investors even when this country desperately needs to clean up the way we generate electricity at the lowest possible cost - which is onshore wind," she said.

The North East Chamber of Commerce agreed the announcement had been quick. Rachel Anderson, NECC head of policy and representation, said: "Such a dramatic change is not unexpected due to announcements made at the launch of the Conservative manifesto.

"We welcome the continuing commitment to off-shore wind development and would hope that any changes will not affect companies engaged in the renewables sector in the region."

But Andrew Joicey, a farmer from Cornhill who has opposed some onshore wind farms in the area, welcomed the news and said keeping onshore subsidies is more likely to hit energy bills. "This is long overdue and very necessary," he said.

Under the plans, the "renewables obligation" scheme, through which subsidies are paid to renewable schemes, will be closed to onshore wind farms from April 1, 2016.

There will be a grace period offered to projects already in the pipeline. This could still allow thousands more turbines to be constructed.

WIND IN NUMBERS | There are 5,061 operational |onshore wind turbines in the UK. This is 80% of the UK's total number of wind turbines; the other 20% are offshore, a quarter of which are based in the Thames estuary.

52.5% of the UK's operational |onshore wind turbines are based in Scotland - 2,655.

The region with the smallest |percentage of the UK's turbines is the West Midlands (0.1%).

9.4% of electricity was supplied |to the UK's national grid by wind power, as of 11am yesterday.

The are 637 onshore wind |turbines currently under construction in the UK.

There are 175 offshore turbines |under construction.

Permission has been given for |the construction of 2,845 onshore and 1,797 offshore turbines.

COPYRIGHT 2015 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Journal (Newcastle, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Jun 19, 2015
Words:502
Previous Article:Man held by police over prayer meeting killings.
Next Article:A Josephine who can delight in Napoleon defeat.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters