Printer Friendly

Warning after aerosol explodes.

FIRE officials today stressed the dangers of aerosol cans after a blast ripped through a house, destroying its internal walls.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said the incident highlighted how an aerosol could cause as much damage as a small bomb.

Fire investigation officer Chris Bromley revealed that the explosion at a bungalow in Walton, Stone, involved an aerosol which had been left on a bathroom shelf.

Mr Bromley said: "It was directly underneath a wall-mounted electric heater, which had caused the can to overheat.

"The subsequent explosion completely destroyed the internal walls and left the property severely damaged. People don't realise that exploding aerosol cans can cause as much damage as a small bomb."

An elderly man who was in the house was treated for smoke inhalation, but was not seriously injured.

People are advised not to leave an aerosol can near high heat sources, such as a heater.
COPYRIGHT 2005 Coventry Newpapers
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)
Date:Jan 6, 2005
Words:150
Previous Article:A happier new year, thanks to ...YOU.
Next Article:Industry chiefs get early leads.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |