Waiting for asylum.
"Refugees who seek asylum in the U.S. face tremendous hurdles, from immigration detention to the lack of legal representation to a new law that will make it even tougher for them to receive protection," Eleanor Acer, director of Human Bights First's Asylum Program, told Sojourners. About half of asylum seekers are held in county jails.
* 64 days: The average length of detention for asylum seekers who are determined to have cause for "credible fear" if deported to their country of origin.
* 2%: The chance asylum seekers without a lawyer have of gaining asylum in the United States.
* 72%: The percentage of asylum seekers denied relief or who withdrew applications for relief from 2000 to 2004.
* 64%: The percentage of men who received referral interviews based upon "credible fear."
* 36%: The percentage of women who received referral interviews based upon "credible fear."
Source: "Report on Asylum Seekers in Expedited Removal" (United States Commission on International Religious Freedom).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||STATS; United States|
|Article Type:||Brief Article|
|Date:||Aug 1, 2005|
|Previous Article:||'Unto the least of these ...'.|
|Next Article:||Made in the U.S.A.|