Printer Friendly

WORLD TODAY: Quake zone Brits safe.

NINETEEN British holidaymakers missing after being caught up in the Chinese earthquake have been found safe and well, the British ambassador to China said today.

Sir William Ehrman said: "Of the group of 19 British tourists that were missing in the Wolong area 14 have now been evacuated to Chengdu where they are safe and well. They are being looked after by UK consular officials. We understand the remaining five tourists are also safe."

They had been out of touch since the 7.9-magnitude earthquake struck in Sichuan province on Monday. The official death toll rose to nearly 15,000 yesterday, but it is feared the number could skyrocket. Around 26,000 people remain buried in collapsed buildings.
COPYRIGHT 2008 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:May 15, 2008
Words:118
Previous Article:Better move fast.
Next Article:WORLD TODAY: Accused of teen killing.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters