Printer Friendly

WASHINGTON STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH REPORTS 400 CONFIRMED WITH E. COLI BACTERIA

 OLYMPIA, Wash., Feb. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Nearly 400 Washington residents are confirmed to have the E. coli 0157:H7 bacteria, and state and local health officials are evaluating at least 100 additional reported cases, the Washington State Department of Health said today.
 As of noon on Monday, Feb. 8, 395 people had tested positively for the bacteria in Washington, with an additional five Canadian residents who are believed to have become ill at Jack-in-the-Box restaurants in Washington state. Approximately 94 percent of all the cases are linked to Jack-in-the-Box.
 Of the 395, about 35 are confirmed secondary transmissions of the bacteria. About 80 percent of those cases are linked to an immediate family member. The other 20 percent are from various other sources, primarily day care programs. Effective hand washing after using the bathroom, after changing diapers and before preparing food is the most effective method of preventing further spread of the bacteria.
 The following counties are reporting confirmed cases:
 Chelan - 1
 Cowlitz - 14
 Island - 8
 King - 176
 Kitsap - 6
 Lewis - 1
 Pacific - 5
 Pierce - 50
 Skagit - 5
 Snohomish - 74
 Spokane - 24
 Thurston - 25
 Whatcom - 6
 The outbreak, which began last month, has led to the deaths of two children and several others remain hospitalized. More than 125 people have been hospitalized. Other states reporting cases are: Idaho, Oregon, Nevada and California.
 -0- 2/8/93
 /CONTACT: Dean R. Owen of the Washington State Department of Health, 206-753-3934, or beeper, 206-786-2264/


CO: Washington State Department of Health ST: Washington IN: HEA SU:

LM-SW -- SE010 -- 4281 02/08/93 16:50 EST
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Feb 8, 1993
Words:260
Previous Article:SDN BANCORP SIGNS CAPITAL AGREEMENT
Next Article:FIRST FEDERAL BANK ACQUIRES COLUMBIA SAVINGS' WESTERN SLOPE BRANCHES


Related Articles
WASHINGTON STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH: OFFICIALS CONCERNED ABOUT SECONDARY TRANSMISSION OF E. COLI BACTERIA
WASHINGTON STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH OFFICIALS CONFIRM E. COLI BACTERIUM IN GROUND BEEF
WASHINGTON STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH EXPANDS CONSUMER ASSISTANCE LINE FOR PUBLIC INQUIRIES ON E. COLI INFECTION
WASHINGTON STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH: NEW E. COLI CASES IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON MAY BE LINKED TO UNDERCOOKED GROUND BEEF
FDA FINDS E. COLI IN APPLE JUICE.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters