Printer Friendly

VA offers benefits and services for veterans looking for work.

(Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Website)

Servicemembers with severe injuries or illnesses may automatically qualify for VA Vocational Rehabilitation benefits. If a servicemember has been referred to a Physical Evaluation Board or are going through the joint VA/DoD Disability Evaluation System, he or she may qualify for services to begin planning the transition to civilian life.

* VA can pay for college or other training while they are still on active duty.

* If all they need is help finding a civilian job, VA can help with that, too.

* If they are unable to return to work yet, VA can help them be more independent in the community

There are several ways to apply or get more information about whether veterans qualify:

* Speak to their Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officer (PEBLO)

* Attend a Transition Assistance Program (TAP) or Disabled Transition Assistance Program (DTAP) briefing at their military facility

* Call VA at 1-800-827-1000 and ask to speak with Vocational Rehabilitation Division or Point of Contact.

* Visit and fill out an online application (VONAPP) for Vocational Rehabilitation

* Apply by completing VA Form 28- 1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, and submitting it to the nearest VA Regional Office

Military Experience Transfers to Civilian Jobs

Servicemembers participating in the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) may get a personalized evaluation of how their military training and experience qualifies them for jobs in the civilian sector.

The Department of Labor will conduct a study of how military experience transfers to civilian jobs. Then, sometime in 2013, the Department of Defense may begin using that information to give transitioning Servicemembers a personalized document showing what civilian careers they may be most prepared to pursue.

Because the law did not provide funding or a timetable for implementing this provision, there is no specific schedule for when servicemembers may begin receiving these evaluations. Ask the TAP coordinator for an update on any progress with this initiative.

When they are available, VA will be able to use these evaluations to develop employment or education plans that can help transitioning SMs reach their career goals.

For more information about how VA can help with career or education planning, call VA's nationwide toll free number, 1-800-827-1000 to request VA Form 28-8832, Application for Educational-Vocational Counseling.

Department of Labor Seamless Transition Resources:

* Veterans Reemployment Portal on is designed to assist veterans with employment, training, career planning, financial and emotional help after military service. The site links veterans to local resources as well as provides a military-to-civilian job search based on military job title or military occupation code.

* My Next Move for Veterans is designed for U.S. veterans making the transition to civilian careers and provides tasks, skills, salary information, job listings, and more for over 900 different careers. Veterans can find careers through keyword search; by browsing industries that employ different types of workers; or by entering their military occupation code or title.

* The Transition Assistance Program Employment Workshop gives employment and training information to armed forces members within 180 days of separation or retirement.

* Veterans' Employment and Training Services are available in every state and provide assistance to transitioning service members to rewarding careers.
COPYRIGHT 2012 EP Global Communications, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Military News
Publication:The Exceptional Parent
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Jul 1, 2012
Previous Article:Strong families plan for change.
Next Article:Hero central is serving military heroes with a mortgage-free home.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters