US man catches fire after applying sunscreen.
Brett Sigworth insisted that he applied Banana Boat sunscreen to his body before walking over to his grill, not knowing that it would still be flammable after it was on his skin.
"I went into complete panic mode and screamed. I've never experienced pain like that in my life," Sigworth said.
The incident resulted in second-degree burns on his chest, ear and back, the only areas where he applied the sunscreen.
Even ten days after the incident, Sigworth is still showing the effects of the incident.
The warnings on the bottle of Banana Boat sunscreen read, "Flammable, don't use near heat, flame or while burning." But said nothing about effects post it's application, Good Morning America reported.
Banana Boat officials said in a statement they were sorry to hear about Sigworth's experience and would begin a prompt investigation.
"We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important to us than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously," the statement said.
Dan Dillard, CEO of the Burn Prevention Network, believes that the sunscreen might not have got absorbed fully into Sigworth's skin and the droplets from the aerosol spray might have still been in the air.
"As he approached the flame, the charcoal simply caught the vapor trail and it follows the vapor trail to where the bulk of the substance is, which is on his body," said Dillard.
"I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin, people wouldn't use it," Sigworth said.
Though he doesn't plan to sue, Sigworth is sharing his story and photos with others to make sure no one else ends up in the hospital after applying sunscreen.
"It was so scary and I just wouldn't want to see it happen to anybody else," he added ( ANI )
Copyright 2012 aninews.in All rights reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Asian News International|
|Article Type:||Travel narrative|
|Date:||Jun 6, 2012|
|Previous Article:||Man U slams claim new-boy Kagawa has been signed for selling shirts in Asia.|
|Next Article:||US mum arrested for cheering too loudly at daughter's graduation.|