UELAC 2011 conference.
Thursday, 02 June to Sunday, 05 June
Join fellow Loyalists and friends in the eastern Ontario city of Brockville to Catch the Spirit of those original Loyalists who settled along the mighty St. Lawrence River and beautiful 1000 Islands. NOTE: Registration starts on 01 January 2011.
--on our dinner cruise--Manitouana (Garden of the Great Spirit)--the First Nations name for the world famous 1000 Islands.
--on our Old Stones Tour the Rideau Canal--North America's oldest continuously used waterway opened in 1832 and designated a United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Site.
--The Frontenac Arch Biosphere-one of only fifteen UNESCO biosphere reserves in Canada showing the balanced relationship between man and nature.
Your host: Colonel Edward Jessup Branch
The Colonel Edward Jessup Branch of The United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada received its Charter to form a branch on 24 February 1968. The official presentation of the Charter took place on Saturday, 11 May 1969 at the Augusta Township home of Sterling Leroy Spicer, the first president, who named the branch after Colonel Edward Jessup, a prominent Grenville County Loyalist who founded the St. Lawrence River community of Prescott in 1810. Conference 2011 is being held in the city of Brockville, the county seat for the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville. Named after Major General Sir Isaac Brock, commander of forces in British North American and hero of the War of 1812, Brockville is the oldest incorporated municipality (1832)in Upper Canada (now Ontario). It was founded by Loyalist William Buell, a former officer in the King's Rangers, who arrived with a group of disbanded soldiers and their families at the mouth of Buell's Creek in 1784.
Thursday, 02 June
* Register at the Holiday Inn Express
* Genealogists' meeting
An evening by the St. Lawrence Riverwhere guests will be treated to views of this picturesque waterway which provided Loyalist settlers with their only means of travel, by bateaux, to reach their land grants along and inland from the river.
Friday, 03 June
St. Lawrence (Tour A)
This tour along the St. Lawrence River will first visit the home of Loyalist Dr. Solomon Jones, then the monument of Loyalist and Mother of Methodism in North America, Barbara Heck, before arriving at Fort Wellington, a restored national historic site in Prescott. The tour will continue on to the Battle of the Windmill site (where conflict occurred in 1837) before visiting Iroquois to view an impressive lock on the St. Lawrence Seaway. Lunch is included.
Old Stones (Tour B)
Going west to the restored Wiltse Pioneer Cemetery (a Col. Edward Jessup Branch 2014 project) then on to the 200-year-old Delta Mill (once operated by Loyalist Abel Stevens) then Jones Falls, a major lock station at the halfway point of the Rideau Canal System the oldest continually operating canal in North America. Self-guided tour of the locks, dams and buildings.
Tour is entirely within the FrontenacArch Biosphere. Lunch is included. Mobility is required.
Your evening will begin with a 45-minute bus trip along the Thousand Islands Parkway that skirts the majestic St. Lawrence River and Thousand Islands between Brockville and Gananoque. Upon arriving in Gananoque, we will board a Gananoque Boat Line triple-decker cruise boat in preparation for our two-hour buffet dinner cruise through the world famous Thousand Islands. While on the tour you will pass through a rugged portion of the FrontenacArch Biosphere. Designated a world biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 2002, the region is also the site of the St. Lawrence Islands National Park that consists of over twenty islands and holds the distinction of being Canada's smallest and first national park east of the Rockies. The region also includes numerous New York State parks as well as private islands with palatial summer homes and not one but two castles including the famous Boldt Castle that we will pass during our cruise.
A couple relaxes on the Brockville waterfront on a peaceful summer afternoon.
Tour A: Homewood Museum once owned by Dr. Solomon Jones
Dr. Solomon Jones (1756-1822) and his three brothers arrived in Augusta Township in 1784 to take up lands granted to them. Jones commissioned a Montreal mason to build a "gentleman's residence" overlooking the river in 1799. Homewood became the home for six generations of the Jones family.
Left: Tour B: Jones Falls, a major lock of the Rideau Canal System.
Right: Construction of Boldt Castle [viewable on the Dinner Cruise] stopped abruptly in 1904 after the death of George Boldt's wife, Louise. For seventy-three years, the castle was neglected. Improvements recently include: a stained glass dome, marble floor, and grand staircase, not existing in 1904.
Saturday, 04 June
UELAC Annual Meeting with buffet lunch, Dominion Council Meeting and ... Merrickville Shopping and Historic Tour
For those not attending the Annual Meeting, conference organizers have arranged for a bus tour to Merrickville--The Jewel of The Rideau. Founded by Loyalist William Merrick, this historic village in northern Grenville County is located on the Rideau Canal that is used extensively by pleasure boaters.
The community's well-preserved 19th century architecture is home to many restaurants, pubs, artist's studios, art galleries, unique country stores and much more. There is an excellent walking tour for those who want to take in the community's history. Lunch is the responsibility of the participants.
Special Presentation Major James Morrow Walsh Northwest Mounted Police, and a friend of Sitting Bull. Presented by Brian Porter.
Among the first members of the Northwest Mounted Police, forerunner of The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, James Morrow Walsh was born in Prescott, east of Brockville, and distinguished himself in policing service in Western Canada in the 1800s including having a relationship with the great native American chief, Sitting Bull. [right]
Walsh returned to Brockville where he died on 25 July 1905 and is buried there.
This scene, at the entrance to the Brockville harbour, is now the haunt of pleasure craft in the summer but is near Buell's Bay, a sandy cove that was once used by Loyalists to land easily on shore before moving inland to their land grants.
Sunday, 05 June
Those attending Conference 2011 have been invited by the congregation at First Presbyterian Church in Brockville to join them for their worship service on Sunday, 05 June during the year-long celebration of the church's 200th anniversary. Some members of the church's original congregation were Loyalists. A lunch will be served following the service.
This is the south portal of The Brockville and Ottawa Railway Company tunnel, Canada's first railroad tunnel opened in 1860 to allow trains access to the Brockville waterfront where cargos were transferred either to ships on the waterway or trains that arrived at the transhipment point.
This view of Courthouse Avenue in central downtown Brockville shows the impressive restored Brockville Court House, built in 1842, in the backgroud; the Fulford Fountain in the centre; the Cenotaph in the foreground and, the building at right, the site of the first Orange Lodge in Upper Canada (now a law office).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada|
|Publication:||The Loyalist Gazette|
|Date:||Sep 22, 2010|
|Previous Article:||"Beyond The Mountains" 03-06 June 2010.|
|Next Article:||Money and prices in the late eighteenth century.|