Printer Friendly

Toxic algae warning for dog owners.

An increase in reports of toxic blue-green algae in Scotland this summer has prompted the British Veterinary Association to urge Paisley dog owners to act.

Blue-green algae blooms may appear as green or greenish-brown scum on the surface of water and can contain toxins that can be harmful to animals if ingested, even in small quantities.

Dogs can swallow this algae by drinking water from an affected lake, river or pond or while licking their fur after going for a swim.

Symptoms of exposure can appear within a few minutes or hours, depending on the type of toxin ingested, and commonly include vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, disorientation, trouble breathing, seizures and blood in faeces. If left untreated, it can cause liver damage and ultimately be rapidly fatal.

British Veterinary Association Junior vice president Daniella Dos Santos said: "We know that some dogs enjoy nothing better than a paddle in a cool lake while on a walk during summer months, but my advice to pet owners would be to keep your dog on a lead during walks near water confirmed to have toxic algal blooms."

People should take pets to a vet immediately if they're concerned it may have ingested toxic algae.

COPYRIGHT 2019 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Paisley Daily Express (Paisley, Scotland)
Date:Aug 15, 2019
Words:200
Previous Article:Historic church has a new lease of life.
Next Article:Only 100 per cent effort will do for Jim.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |