To the manor bought; Ancient title of Lordship of Lintley for sale.
WE all know that an Englishman's home is his castle, but someone will soon have the chance to officially be the lord of their own Northumbrian manor.
For an estimated pounds 5,000-pounds 7,000, the ancient Lordship of the Manor of Lintley, in Kirkhaugh, Northumberland, could be yours.
The title, first granted in the 13th Century by King John, will be up for grabs at an auction in London later this month.
And the new lord or lady will then be able to show off their grand title by using it on their passport, chequebook and credit cards, as well as becoming a member of the Manorial Society of Great Britain.
Their new realm lies amid the hills of south-west Northumberland, 10 miles south of Haltwhistle and three miles from Alston in Cumbria. Situated on the east and west banks of the River Tyne, it lies in the parish of Kirkhaugh.
The title was granted to William de Veteriponte in 1209, but by 1258 it had passed to William de Kirkhaugh. In the same year, the boundaries of Kirkhaugh, including the Lordship of Lintley, were established.
Historical records show that in 1402, Thomas de Claxton took on the title, but became embroiled in a dispute about its ownership with his overlord, Edmund Plantagenet, Lord of the Liberty of Tynedale.
This is believed to have been resolved in Claxton's favour, as there are further Claxtons in the line of Lords and Ladies of Lintley.
The estate, which includes the manors of Kirkhaugh, Plunderheat and Ayle, was acquired by a Thomas Salkeld in the late 18th Century. His trustees sold it in the early 1800s for the then considerable sum of pounds 9,000 to the Lord of the Admiralty, on behalf of Greenwich Hospital.
Subsequent legislation vested the hospital manors of the estate. Its transfer to the new owner will be conveyed under the seal of the Secretary of Defence, on behalf of the Crown, at the auction on November 15.
The sale follows those of other manors in the North-East of Alston Moor, Haydon Bridge, Plunderheath and Whitlaw, which raised more than pounds 50,000 for the seafarer's charity.
Anyone interested can contact Manorial Auctioneers on (020) 7582-1588.
Boundaries take in Tyne and Alne
THE boundaries of Kirkhaugh, including the Lordship of Lintley, were described in 1258 as being:
From the Tyne by the rivulet of Somerhope towards the east to the marches of Whitfield, and from the marches of Whitfield towards the south to the marches of Ulveston, and this descending towards the west to the water of Alne, to the Tyne: and from the Tyne ascending to the west by the burn (stream) of Gilderdale up to Wulfgill; and from Wulfgill ascending to the west up to the marches of Cumberland; and by them to the head of Thornhope, and so by the burn of Thornhope to the Tyne
GRAND IDEAS: The 13th Century title of Lordship of Lintley is up for grabs. Granted by King John, it covered land lying between Haltwhistle and Alston.