Printer Friendly

Tigers claw way to a late victory; Dundee side snatch win with just seconds left.

Solway Stingrays The Stingrays headed to the Dundee Ice Arena on Sunday looking for two valuable league points.

After dismantling Kilmarnock Thunder the previous week and having recorded a win against the Tigers in the opening game of the league, the Stingrays were hoping to build on their momentum.

The Stingrays, sponsored by Stevie Wight Electrical, started promisingly but the Tigers enjoyed their first powerplay while Gordon Horne sat a hooking call around the five-minute mark.

A counter-attack paid dividends when Tigers' Jack Terroni found himself free with speed on the left. With a two-on-one rush, he used his fellow forward as a decoy and snapped an acute shot in off the far post.

The Stingrays bounced back, creating some good opportunities, but they found Dale Shearer in the Tigers net in inspired form.

A piece of skill by Stingrays' Kieran Hair saw him wriggle free from his marker and attack the net from the wing. His shot was well saved by Shearer but the rebound cannoned in off a mixture of the Tigers' defender and Stingrays' Ruairi Lockerbie, who was credited with the equaliser.

The second period saw the Sting-rays awarded their first powerplay.

Following patient build-up, Euan Edgar and Ben Coughtrie worked puck to Gordon Horne who was as he powered through on goal. With the referee still signalling penalty, Horne bounced up and put the puck under Shearer.

A further powerplay was awarded to the Stingrays but the Tigers cleared the puck to a loose high man with Robbie Barnett streaking away and slotting home.

The Stingrays went again, Lockerbie sending Edgar through the neutral zone. He drew the defenceman and the big forward unleashed a textbook snapshot in off the crossbar.

The game was tied again just three minutes later when Calum Turnbull beat the Stingrays defender in the corner before striding out in front of Morris and firing home.

A slap shot cannoned off Stingrays' defender Jamie Kerr and was retrieved by Gordon Horne, who set off. Some lovely link-up play with Hair in the Tigers' zone saw the latter prod home.

In the third period, a slack pass the defensive zone saw Tigers' Terroni intercept the puck. Teammate Tony Malone slipped the puck past Morris to even the game.

A powerplay for the Stingrays was awarded heading into the last 10 minutes. Direct play by Mark Duffy and Kieran Hair found Ben Coughtrie, who fired home to give the Stingrays a 5-4 lead.

A further powerplay for the Stingrays offered the chance to seal the game with just four minutes left, but lack of accuracy in passing allowed yet another Tigers' counter.

Callum Turnbull turned over the puck from the Stingrays on the edge of his own zone before racing up the ice. He cut inside his defender and swept into the net to square matters at five apiece.

The Stingrays pushed forward in search of a winner. Ben Coughtrie was was harshly sent to the sin bin for unsportsmanlike conduct with 21 seconds left.

From the face-off, the puck was drawn back to Tigers' Grant Reekie on the point and he smashed a slap shot through a crowd of players to win the game 6-5 with just 17 seconds remaining on the clock.

A bitter pill to swallow for the short-benched Stingrays in a game where some composure in front of net would have resulted in a completely different story.

Gordon Horne was man of the match for Stingrays.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Dumfries and Galloway Standard (Dumfriesshire, Scotland)
Date:Dec 7, 2018
Previous Article:South-west club's trophies are presented; Horse driving.
Next Article:The juniors play Bruins; Ice hockey.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |