Printer Friendly

Throat slasher out of hospital.

Byline: Dave Himelfield News Reporter

A MAN who slashed his own throat in court with a smuggled blade has been released from hospital.

Gary Bell, who cut his throat in Kirklees Magistrates' Court on Thursday, has been transferred from Leeds General Infirmary to Doncaster Young Offender Institute, a relative confirmed at the weekend.

Bell, 20, of Sycamore Court, Milnsbridge, slashed himself while he was being sentenced for three assaults and criminal damage.

The district judge who sentenced him, Michael Fanning, was hailed a hero after rushing to get towels to stem the bleeding. A security officer was slightly hurt in the scuffle.

Ambulances and police cars raced to the scene and parked up on the busy town centre ring road following the incident.

Paramedics were called into the building and minutes later, the injured man was brought out of the courtroom on a trolley and helped into a waiting ambulance.

In an earlier hearing, Bell had pleaded guilty to beating up two males and a female, on June 18, at Reinwood Road, Quarmby.

He also admitted damaging property on that road on the same day.

Bell smuggled the blade into court hidden in cigarette papers.

Court security was stepped up on Friday and an investigation by Her Majesty's Courts & Tribunals Service and the Ministry of Justice is being carried out.


| Gary Bell is taken from Kirklees |Magistrates' Court in Huddersfield after slashing his own throat 43147063

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Aug 4, 2014
Previous Article:Giants back campaign to support children's hospital.
Next Article:Stately memories; FEEDBACK.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters