Printer Friendly

This Toxic Algae Is Now Killing More Dogs In US.

Something just appeared in the southern side of the U.S. that has been causing concerns among pet lovers. A deadly algae has been killing dogs in several states that an exposure can kill your furry buddy within a few minutes.A

Cyanobacteria lurks in fresh and salt water. This blue-green algae releases toxins that can take minutes, hours or days to kill dogs and can also be deadly for humans.A

"What people see typically is they can float up to the surface and form a kind of scum," Larry Brand, a marine biology and ecology professor at the University of Miami, told ( WebMD . "They're usually greenish in color with bluish tints. It's thick, gooey stuff; people know not to drink it."

However, the algae affects more dogs. Just in August, dogs died in Georgia, North Carolina and Texas because of exposure to cyanobacteria after swimming in a river, pond and a lake, WebMD reported Wednesday.

Cyanobacteria may appear like common green algae. Both appear on the water's surface and release a similar smell, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. The difference between the two is that blue-green algae has deadly effects.A

Cyanobacteria releases toxins that can cause neurological problems and liver failure, according to David Dorman, a professor of toxicology at North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Brand pointed cyanobacteria has been killing animals over the past 100 years. Climate change, untreated sewage and fertilizer contribute to the spread of the harmful algae. A

"On a global scale, they're getting worse," Brand added. "So you get more incidences of dogs dying."

One of the latest incidents happened in the past weekend in Georgia. Pet owners Morgan and Patrick Fleming said their border collie Arya started to vomit and release more waste after playing in the lake.A

The dog was brain dead before she was carried to the emergency department. The early signs of blue-green algae exposure are seizures, diarrhea, vomiting, twitching and weakness.

"We lost our fun, loving and crazy girl to what we can only assume was a lake toxin such as blue green algae," Morgan said in a Facebook post.A

Another recent case of cyanobacteria exposure was reported in North Carolina. Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz said their dogs Abby, Harpo and Izzy had a seizure just minutes of leaving a pond in Wilmington.A

Harpo suffered fromA liver failure associated with the exposure to the algae.A

COPYRIGHT 2019 Newsweek Media Group
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Medical Daily
Date:Aug 16, 2019
Previous Article:The Bad Effects Of Meatless Burgers.
Next Article:The Benefits Of Yams That Can Boost Your Health.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |