Printer Friendly

Therapeutic efficacy of ceftiofur for management of puerperal metritis in 26 buffaloes.

Introduction

Puerperal metritis is characterized by fetid red brown watery uterine discharge along with pyrexia (Drillich et al., 2001), reduced milk yield, dullness, inappetance or anorexia, elevated heart rate and apparent dehydration. It is an acute systemic illness due to uterine infection usually within 10 days after parturition. The condition is often associated with retained placenta, dystocia, still birth and usually occurs toward end of first week post-partum and rarely after second week postpartum (Markusfeld, 1984 and Drillich et al., 2001). The disease not only leads to financial losses (Overtone and Fetrow, 2008) but also is responsible for sub/infertility in dairy animals (Sheldon et al., 2006). The present study was undertaken to evaluate efficacy of Ceftiofur in treatment of bovine puerperal metritis.

History

A total 26 buffaloes in 6-8 years age group were presented during August'2012-March 2013 with history of calving within 10 days, continuous straining and expulsion of massive quantity of foul smelling mucopurulent discharge from vagina, gradually reduced feed intake and decreased milk production. All animals had history of retained placenta which was manually removed by Veterinarian.

Clinical Observation

The clinical examination of all affected animals revealed increase temperature, respiration rate, pulse rate and decrease in ruminal movement. Per-rectal examination revealed enlarged and inflamed uterus. Copious amount of pus was expelled at time of straining during rectal palpation.

Diagnosis

The history, clinical finding, per-rectal examination of enlarged and inflamed uterus and presence of copious amount of foul smelling pus during straining at time of rectal palpation were sufficient to make diagnosis as puerperal metritis.

Treatment

All the animals were restrained in standing position and uterine irrigation was done by using mild lukewarm potassium permagnate (1: 1000) solution. The animals were then treated with injection Xyrofur (Ceftiofur (a)) @ 1gm IM for 3 days, Injection Melonex (Meloxicam (a)) @15 ml IM, injection Anistamina (Chlorpheniramine maleate) @ 10 ml IM, Injection Tribiveta ([B.sub.1], [B.sub.6] and [B.sub.12]) @ 10 ml IM for 3 days and Injection Dextrose Normal Saline (5%) 4 litres intravenous for first day. The intensity of straining and quantity of vaginal discharge were decreased from second day onwards and animals started taking food and water normally with increased milk production. Out of these 26 animals, 20 (76.92%) animals showed recovery after 3 days of therapy and in remaining 6 animals, therapy was continued for next 2 days. All remaining 6 (23.08 %) animals showed complete clinical recovery after 5 days of therapy. In present study, all 26 (100%) animals showed complete clinical recovery after 3-5 days of therapy of Ceftiofur. So, Ceftiofur is highly effective in treatment of puerperal metritis in bovines.

Discussion

Puerperal metritis has been major problem in bovine reproduction. Despite various preventive and control programme, incidence of diseases has not yet changed since last 30 years (Sheldon and Dobson, 2004). Various factors viz. uterine inertia, twin births, retention of fetal membrane, dystocia, prolonged traction, damage to vulva and/ or birth canal is supporting factors for occurrence of disease (Noakes et al., 2001).

Ceftiofur has remarkable activity against wide range of aerobic and anaerobic, Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria including [beta] lactamase producing strains. The post-partum uterine environment is anaerobic in nature (Ball et al., 1988). In the present study only parental administration of broad spectrum antibiotic, Ceftiofur was used. However, intrauterine antibiotic treatment was not preferred due to irritation or more in rush of blood causing more absorption of toxin into circulation. Therefore, intrauterine infusion often fails to cure post-partum metritis (Gustafasson, 1984). Moreover, systemic treatment provides better drug distribution to entire layer of female genital tract and ovaries (Gustafsson and Ott, 1981).

In present study, all 26 (100%) animal showed complete clinical recovery. Out of these 26 recovered animals, 20 (76.92%) showed complete clinical recovery after 3 days of therapy and remaining 6 (23.08 %) animals showed complete clinical recovery after 5 days of therapy. So, Ceftiofur is highly effective against treatment of bovine puerperal metritis.

References

Ball, L., Olson, J.D. and Mortimer, R.G. (1988). Treatment of postpartum metritis in the cow. Proc. Soc. Therio. P. 234-42.

Drillich, M., Beetz, O., Pfutzner, A., Sabin, H.J. and Kutzer, P. (2001). Evaluation of systemic antibiotic treatment of puerperal metritis in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 84: 2010-17.

Gustafsson, B.K. (1984). Theraputic strategies involving antimicrobial treatment of the uterus in large animal. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 185: 1194-98.

Gustafsson, B.K. and Ott, R. S. (1981). Current trend in the treatment of genital infections in large animals. Compend. Contin. Educ. Pract. Vet. 3: 147-57.

Markusfeld, O. (1984). Factors responsible for post parturient metritis in dairy cattle. Vet. Rec. 114: 539-42.

Noakes, D.E., Parkinson, T.J. and England, G.C.W. (2001). Arthur's Veterinary Reproduction and Obstetrics. Harcourt (India) Private Limited, 8th Edition.

Sheldon, I.M. and Dobson, H (2004). Postpartum uterine health in cattle. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 82: 295-06.

Sheldon, I.M., Lewis, G, S., LeBlanc, S. and Gilbert, R.O. (2006). Defining postpartum uterine disease in cattle. Theriogenology 65: 1516-30.

K.P. Singh * (1), Bhoopendra Singh (2), Praneeta Singh (3), S.K. Singh (4) and H.N. Singh (5)

Government Veterinary Hospital Department of Animal Husbandry Deoranian Bareilly--243203 (Uttar Pradesh)

(1.) Veterinary Officer and Corresponding author. E-mail: drkpsvet@rediffmail.com

(2.) Assistant Professor, Deparment of Animal Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, C.VSc.& A.H., NDUAT, Kumarganj, Faizabad

(3.) Assistant Professor, Department of Livestock Product Technology, C.V.A.Sc., GBPUAT, Pantnagar, U.S.Nagar, Uttrakhand

(4.) Veterinary Officer, Government Veterinary Hosptal, Harakh, Barabanki

(5.) Professor and Head, Department of Surgery and Radiology, C.VSc.& A.H., NDUAT, Kumarganj, Faizabad

(a)--Brand of Intas Animal Health, Ahmedabad
COPYRIGHT 2014 Intas Pharmaceuticals Limited
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Clinical Article
Author:Singh, K.P.; Singh, Bhoopendra; Singh, Praneeta; Singh, S.K.; Singh, H.N.
Publication:Intas Polivet
Article Type:Report
Geographic Code:9INDI
Date:Jul 1, 2014
Words:943
Previous Article:Therapeutic management of RFM associated septic metritis--a report of 6 bovines.
Next Article:Therapeutic management of bovine puerperal metritis in a cow.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters