TheScoular Company (THESCOP).
* Employees 778
* FY14 Sales $6.2 Billion
* Merchandising Offices 20
* Grain-Handling Facilities 70
* Licensed Storage Capacity 130 Million Bushels
* FY14 Handling Capacity 420 Million Bushels
The Scoular Company's roots in agriculture began in 1892 when the company was founded by George Scoular. The company remained under the ownership of the Scoular family until 1967, when it was acquired by a group of grain industry executives led by Marshall Faith, Scoular's current Vice Chairman of the Board. Throughout its history, Scoular has derived its revenues from a portfolio of merchandising and facility-based businesses with a wide array of customers, products, and geographies. Today, The Scoular Company manages supply chain risk for customers in segments of food, feed and renewable fuel markets. More than 750 Scoular people customize risk-management solutions using a network of owned, managed, and third-party facilities coupled with truck, rail, barge, and container freight commitments. Scoular's marketing programs serve supplier or end-use customers with Scoular managing as many pieces of the supply chain as are needed or feasible.
Since our start in 1892, our financial capacity has grown to annual sales in excess of $6.2 billion and working capital in excess of $150 million. A revolving line of credit is provided by ten major banks and secured through 2015. We are the 54th largest company on the Forbes list of privately-held companies in the United States.
Additional financial information is available in The Scoular Company's Dun & Bradstreet Business Information Report, reference number 14-715-8661. Our current rating is 5A2.
Points of Interest
* The Scoular Company is independent and one of the largest grain storage and handling companies in North America.
* Our people live in the markets they serve; we have more than 90 offices and facilities from Canada to Mexico and from South Carolina to California.
* Our customers are local, regional, national, and international in scope.
* We provide a wide array of marketing options to our producer customers.
* We do not process or consume the products we handle; we focus on unique supply chain solutions.
* Our network of grain-handling facilities and third party origins ensures timely shipments from all major production areas.
* We are small enough to have personal relationships with our customers but big enough to reach markets in over 50 countries.
* The average tenure of our 778 employees is just shy of 6 years. Nearly 115 employees have been with Scoular for 10 years, and 35 have been here more than 20.
* We have a broad range of expertise and experience, and we are actively recruiting for future growth.
* We are selective when hiring to ensure that our employees are energetic, independent, and self motivated.
* Our employees place a high priority on what our customers need in order to succeed.
Markets We Serve
The Scoular Company provides solutions to customers in three major agricultural market segments: feed, food, and renewable fuels. Scoular manages risk by buying, selling, handling, storing, importing, exporting, and transporting grain and feed and food ingredients.
Aquaculture. We provide global supply chain solutions to serve aqua feed producers with multiple products and cost solutions.
* Flour Milling. Our extensive shipping network gives flour millers a consistent wheat supply that meets inventory and cost requirements.
* Food Processing and Manufacturing. Our integrated supply networks give food manufacturers access to specialty grains, functional ingredients, blends, and custom formulation.
* Grain Production. Our local offices and grain handling facilities create integrated marketing, storing and handling programs for North American producers.
* Identity-Preserved. We use multiple safeguards to manage identity-preserved and organic corn, white corn, soybeans, wheat, and other grains from field to end use.
* Industrial Ag Processing. We create custom-designed service arrangements adapted to meet processors' plant-by-plant needs, including feedstock supply, byproduct marketing, and crush risk management.
* Livestock Feeding and Feed Manufacturing. We integrate sales and logistics to provide price risk management and just-in-time delivery of grains and ingredients.
* Pet Food Manufacturing. We globally source a full range of wet and dry pet food ingredients to support brand and price strategies of pet food manufacturers.
* Renewable Fuels. We provide ethanol plants with risk management, grain origination, logistics, transportation and distiller grains marketing, and we invest in plants strategic to our business.
* Transportation. We offer freight, forwarding, logistics, and documentation to container shippers around the globe.
Farmers Can Sell Corn and Soybeans Now for Fall 2015 Delivery
Shelby County grain farmers will have a new convenient and competitive destination for their corn and soybeans when harvest rolls around this fall. A two-million bushel grain storage facility, with unloading speeds of 25,000 bushels per hour, is being constructed by The Scoular Company on a green field site near Corley, Iowa.
"In the past, grain companies expected the farmer to come to them," said Will Bramblett who oversees Scoular's southwest Iowa network of grain elevators. "Today, farmers have more acres but the same amount of time to get their work done, which can be particularly challenging for them at harvest time.
Driving miles to reach a grain elevator, and sitting in line waiting to be unloaded, are big time and money wasters. We understand that, so we are bringing the market closer. We are building a large capacity, quick-unloading facility in an area where we feel grain producers are currently under served."
Bramblett added, "Scoular will offer competitive prices at the Corley facility by using the company's extensive grain marketing network. We will connect locally produced grain to the best market, whether it's across the county, state, country, or even around the world."
Farmers interested in selling grain for fall delivery to the new Corley facility can call (712) 741-5437 and talk with grain merchandisers at Scoular's location in Hancock, Iowa.
About The Scoular Company
A 123-year-old company with more than $6 billion in sales, The Scoular Company operates 130 independent business units that provide diverse supply chain solutions for end-users and suppliers of grain, feed ingredients, and food ingredients around the globe. From nearly 90 offices and facilities in North America, South America, and Asia, our 800+ employees are engaged in the business of buying, selling, storing, and handling grain and ingredients as well as managing transportation and logistics worldwide.www.scoular.com.