The many forms of life, special memberships.
For those eligible for life membership status, it is wise to begin the life membership process six months prior to your expiration, before you qualify, to avoid being billed again as an active member.
First, let's examine who is eligible for life membership upon completion of 25 years of continuous membership. The only exception to this rule is when a member converts to student membership for a period and then reverts to active membership.
>From time to time, a member will drop out of the ADAA for a year or so and then return to membership and wish to have this time gap bridged in order to ensure the continuing count of the years for lire membership. When this happens, "membership buyback" can be purchased. This is a simple process in which the dues from the missing years are paid and the time is bridged. Back dues are paid at the rate of $5 per month.
There are five forms of life membership on the books of the ADAA, and this is what often causes the confusion.
1. The Original Life Membership was granted prior to October 23, 1979, and carries with it the privilege of paying no national dues. State and local dues are at each state's option. This category of membership misses out on any forms of remember services such as professional liability insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and receipt of The Dental Assistant. A Journal subscription may be purchased at a discounted rate.
2. From October 23, 1979, until October 8, 1988, Half-Pay Life Membership was granted with the proviso that one-half of national dues would be paid each year as well as one-half state/local dues. The exception to this is where the state's own bylaws grant that some other level of dues or that no dues be paid on the state/local level. This category of membership receives all member services.
3. Full-Pay Life Membership granted after October 8, 1988, calls for full payment of national dues with state/local dues determined by each state's bylaws. As with Half-Pay life members, this category also receives full member services.
4. Life Retired is for any life member 62 years of age or a life member who is permanently disabled and is forced into early retirement. In this category, no national dues are required and no member services are given. Journal subscriptions may be purchased at a discounted rate, but not professional liability insurance.
5. Thirty-Five-Year Life, same as Full-Pay Life but with a 25 percent discount on national dues.
Anyone with at least 15 years of continuous membership who has reached retirement age as determined by the Social Security Act or those with 10 years of continuous service who have become totally or permanently disabled may apply for special membership. These memberships require one-half the dues of active members and retain all the privileges of active membership, with the exception of the professional liability insurance. As with all five forms of life membership, payment of state/local dues is at the option of each state.
Please note, however, that anyone opting for these forms of special membership may not apply the years spent as a special member to the 25 years necessary for life membership.
Students completing their one-year membership at $25 may renew if they are continuing as full-time students for another year, or may convert to active membership. A renewal notice will be sent that offers the Student Active membership at a reduction from normal dues. State association dues will be added to the bill at this time.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ...
ADAA E-mail and Website
ADAA Membership & Information
(312) 541-1550 x 213
fax (312) 541-1496
ADAA Continuing Education
(312) 541-1550 x 211
fax (312) 541-1496
ADAA Medical Insurance (Bertholon-Rowland)
Professional Liability Insurance
Life, Disability, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (Bertholon-Rowland)
ADAA Member Credit Card Program
Issuing Bank: MBNA America
ADAA Travel Discounts
(800) 258-2847 * Choice Hotels
ADAA ID# 00800131
For Airlines & Other Hotels
(800) 873-1027 * Trava Inc.
Erica or Frances
(ADAA's official travel agency)
Package Tours: Cheryl
ADAA ID# BY 187920
Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
(888) AGD-DENT * (312) 440-4300
Dental Assisting Schools Accredited by ADA
click the Accreditation Link
American Dental Association (ADA)
(800) 621-8099 * (312) 440-2500
(800) 367-3262 available 24 hours
fax (312) 642-8507
The publication of these listings is not to be construed as endorsement or approval by the ADAA.
MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES and FACTS Popular Nat'l State/ Prof. Jrnl. Membership Dues Local Liability Categories Dues Ins. ACTIVE $105 YES YES YES STUDENT $25 INC. NO ** YES LIFE Original (Prior to 10/23/79) NO State Option NO ** NO * Half-Pay (10/23/79 to 10/8/88) $52.50 State Option YES YES Full-Pay 10/8/88 $105 State Option YES YES Life Retired NO State Option NO NO * 35-year Life $81.25 State Option YES YES SPECIAL Retired $47.50 State Option NO YES Disabled $47.50 State Option NO YES Popular AD&D Spec. Membership Insurance Appl. Categories Req. ACTIVE YES NO STUDENT YES YES LIFE Original (Prior to 10/23/79) NO YES Half-Pay (10/23/79 to 10/8/88) YES YES Full-Pay 10/8/88 YES YES Life Retired NO YES 35-year Life YES YES SPECIAL Retired YES YES Disabled YES YES * MAY BE PURCHASED AT ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTED CHARGE ** MAY BE PURCHASED AT ADDITIONAL CHARGE 1/04
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||American Dental Assistants Association|
|Publication:||The Dental Assistant|
|Date:||Jan 1, 2004|
|Previous Article:||Professional development through local connections.|
|Next Article:||Click on career choices in dental assisting.|