Printer Friendly

Texas water resort closed, tested for 'brain-eating amoeba' after man's death.

After a 29-year-old man died from an infection with what's commonly known as brain-eating amoeba, health officials are investigating the Texas surf resort he visited. CNN affiliate KVTV identified the man as Fabrizio Stabile of New Jersey, who visited a surf resort at Waco's BSR Cable Park before developing symptoms in September. "There have been no reports of other illnesses, and Naegleria fowleri infection does not spread from person to person," Brittany Behm, spokeswoman at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wrote in an email. "CDC is testing water samples for Naegleria fowleri and will be working with the local and state health departments on recommendations to provide the facility on how to reduce potential exposures," she added. The amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, can be found in warm bodies of fresh water such as lakes and hot springs. It infects people by entering the nose and making its way to the brain. There, it can cause a brain infection that the CDC calls "rare and devastating," known as primary amebic meningoencephalitis. It is almost always fatal, though a handful of people have survived. "We understand from the New Jersey Department of Health that the patient went to the park on 9/8/18 and became ill on 9/14/18," Behm said. Health officials did not identify Stabile by name, though family and friends have spoken out. A GoFundMe page launched by those close to Stabile says that he was mowing his lawn when a severe headache struck. It hadn't gone away by the following morning, and his symptoms progressed until he was unable to speak coherently or get out of bed. He was rushed to the hospital, where doctors found the amoeba in his spinal fluid. "The worst-case scenario was unfolding in front of our eyes," the site says. An anti-parasitic drug called miltefosine (sold as Impavido) has been used to treat patients and even, in two cases in 2013, was credited with saving lives. However, according to the GoFundMe page, "by the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late."

[c] Copyright Qatar Tribune. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).

COPYRIGHT 2018 SyndiGate Media Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Qatar Tribune (Doha, Qatar)
Date:Oct 3, 2018
Words:357
Previous Article:Crash diets linked to more belly fat, less muscle: Study.
Next Article:Honda teams up with GM on self-driving cars.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters