Printer Friendly

Testing time to keep warm.

PENSIONERS preparing to combat winter's chill got their electric blankets tested out at Rugby Library yesterday.

Dozens of elderly people went along to the library, where Warwickshire trading standards experts were conducting free tests.

Warwickshire trading standards director Noel Hunter said: "Unsafe electric blankets are the cause of many house fires each year and can often lead to death or serious injury.

"Elderly people are particularly at risk, making up a large percentage of reported deaths.

"We are determined to rid Warwickshire of dangerous and unsafe blankets."

Pensioners with faulty blankets were encouraged to hand them over and were given a voucher towards the cost of a new one.

Statistics show that more than 800 people are injured each year in fires involving electric blankets.

CAPTION(S):

BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY: Advice officer Cindy Smith and information officer Pat Whorton at the electric blanket testing day. Picture: JOE BAILEY
COPYRIGHT 2002 Coventry Newpapers
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2002 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)
Date:Nov 12, 2002
Words:149
Previous Article:STRIKE THREAT IN JOBCUTS DISPUTE; Union claims company's French owners prefer to invest in their own country.
Next Article:Pupils send boxes of joy.


Related Articles
Ducati 200 is spied on the road.
Vaughan on target for return.
Injured Haddin could be out of Ashes series.
Scientists disapprove American comet impact theory.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |