Printer Friendly

Terriers chase off Swans.

Byline: IAN MURTAGH at John Smith's Stadium


Campbell 22, O'Brien 48, Holmes 52, 55


Hourihane 45+1 A SECOND-half goal blitz saw Huddersfield turn the formbook upside down as Swansea's ninematch unbeaten run came to a shattering end.

With the Terriers winless this year, it looked an awayday banker, especially after Conor Hourihane cancelled out Fraizer Campbell's 22nd minute opener with a blistering free-kick in firsthalf injury-time.

Instead, it all went wrong for Swansea with Lewis O'Brien and a double from American Duane Holmes sending Carlos Corberan's side out of sight with three goals in seven minutes.

VITAL STATS And to complete a nightmare afternoon, Jordan Morris went off on a stretcher in agony after stumbling on the ball and landing awkwardly, leaving Swansea to play the last 25 minutes with 10 men.

"Fingers crossed for him, but it does not look good," said Swans head coach Steve Cooper. "He's on crutches with his knee in a brace." Cooper claimed his side only had themselves to blame for the defeat. "We did not do the basics right and paid the price," he added.

Huddersfield boss Corberan said: "It was so important for us to get that win and I was delighted with the performance.

"We did really well offensively and the team played with determination and courage." The visitors briefly came to life leading up to halftime.

Matt Grimes fired inches wide and Jake Bidwell saw his looping header cleared off the line by Naby Sarr.

And their pressure paid off in injury-time with that belting Hourihane from a set-piece.

Huddersfield will count themselves unlucky not to have increased their lead after Campbell had ended his seven-game goal drought, sweeping home Pipa's pull-back.

Moments later, Juninho Bacuna's effort came back off the inside of the post.

The Terriers rediscovered their bite after the restart.

O'Brien fired them ahead again on 48 minutes after excellent link-up play between Campbell and Bacuna. And four minutes later, Holmes finished in fine style from Aaron Rowe's assist His second was even better. He cut inside before unleashing a 30-yard thunderbolt which gave Freddie Woodman no chance.

HUDDERSFIELD: Schofield 6; Keogh 6, Vallejo 6, Sarr 7; Pipa 7, Bacuna 7 (High 78, 6), Hogg 6 (Pritchard 84), O'Brien 7, Rowe 7 (Brown 84); Campbell 8 (Phillips 72, 6), Holmes 8 (Stearman 84). Unused subs: Pereira, Crichlow, Duhaney, Thomas.

SWANSEA: Woodman 6; Naughton 5 (Whittaker 58, 5), Bennett 6 (Cabango 45, 5), Guehi 6; Roberts 6, Grimes 6, Hourihane 7, Fulton 5 (Dhanda 58, 5), Bidwell 6 (Manning 58, 5); Ayew 6, Lowe 5 (Morris 45, 5).

Unused subs: Hamer, Latibeaudiere, Arriola, Smith. MAN OF THE MATCH: Duane Holmes. Two devastating second half finishes REFEREE: John Brooks 7.

HUDDERSFIELD SWANSEA 5..ShotsonTarget3 3 ..Shots off Target 5 4 .Corners ..4 8 Fouls 10 2 Offsides..3 84.9 ..Passing Success % .74.9 490Total Passes..342 58.7..Possession % 41.3 41Territorial Adv %..59 VITAL STATS

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2021 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Author:IAN MURTAGH at John Smith's Stadium
Publication:Sunday Mirror (London, England)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Feb 21, 2021
Previous Article:STILL PUKKA FROM PUKKI; Finn misses then finds a finish.
Next Article:Tykes go one better.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2022 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |