Printer Friendly

Takeaway boss fined for hygiene breaches.

Byline: Emma Oliver emma.oliver@trinitymirror.com

A TAKEAWAY owner has been fined PS1,000 over serious food hygiene breaches found at his Middlesbrough premises.

The Shawarma House in Linthorpe Road was closed with immediate effect during an inspection by environmental health officers from Middlesbrough Council's Public Protection Service on March 23.

During their visit the officers discovered poor standards of cleanliness and evidence of a widespread mouse infestation.

A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice was served on owner Osama Abo Alsel requiring him to immediately close his takeaway. He was not allowed to open the business until environmental health officers were satisfied that effective pest treatment and prevention measures had been carried out and the premises thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.

Appearing before Teesside Magistrates' Court yesterday Alsel pleaded guilty to four offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 - failing to ensure adequate procedures in place to control pests, failing to keep the premises clean, failing to keep food equipment clean and disinfected and failing to register his ownership of the food business with Middlesbrough Council.

He was fined PS1,000 and ordered to pay PS542 in costs plus a PS25 victim surcharge.

Environmental health and trading standards manager, Judith Hedgley, said: "Pest activity in any food business has the potential to lead to food poisoning.

"Food businesses must ensure that their premises are free from pests and are kept clean at all times. The closure of this business was necessary to remove the health risk presented by rodent activity and it remained closed for 17 days."

Environmental health officers had discovered poor standards of cleanliness and evidence of a widespread mice infestation at The Shawarma House in May last year.

In August 2014 Alsel took over the takeaway and in November he said he'd turned it round and that it was "very, very clean".

A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition notice was served on former owner Jade Ashleigh McGivern - requiring her to close her former takeaway immediately - after Middlesbrough Council's Public Protection Service visited.

She was not allowed to reopen until environmental health officers were satisfied that effective pest treatment and prevention measures had been carried out and the premises thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.

The takeaway remained shut for 14 days.

McGivern pleaded guilty to four offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 last November, namely: Failing to ensure adequate procedures were in place to control pests, failing to keep the premises clean, failing to keep food equipment clean and disinfected, and failing to register her ownership of the food business with Middlesbrough Council.

She was fined PS1,000 and ordered to pay PS547 in costs, plus a PS25 victim surcharge.

CAPTION(S):

Some of the hygiene breaches found earlier this year

Osama Abo Alsel after taking over The Shawarma House

COPYRIGHT 2015 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)
Date:Oct 29, 2015
Words:465
Previous Article:A sea of yellow lined the route as white horses took Jacob on his final journey.
Next Article:An emotional high! Tees postie's delight as he is VIP guest at Vulcan's final flight.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters