Printer Friendly

TOXIC FUMES ALERT SHUTS ROYAL MILE.

PART of Edinburgh's historic Royal Mile was closed yesterday after a chemical scare at an ex-servicemen's home.

Firefighters wore protective suits to enter the Whiteford House hostel in Canongate after two staff members inhaled toxic fumes.

A police spokesman said: "It would appear bleach poured down a drain reacted with something already there, releasing the fumes."

It was revealed a cleaner poured bleach down to get rid of a strange smell.

The two women workers were checked over by ambulance staff but did not need medical treatment.

Health and safety officers shut off the lower section of the Royal Mile from 11am to 1pm as they worked to establish the source of the fumes.

None of the elderly residents at the home was evacuated.

CAPTION(S):

DANGER ZONE: Fire crews sealed off part of the Royal Mile after reports of fumes. It's thought it was caused by bleach being poured down a drain LESLEY MARTIN
COPYRIGHT 2006 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Nov 8, 2006
Words:155
Previous Article:APE FIRE THREAT.
Next Article:Dragon Dunc: I turned down Taggart; TV boss too busy for part in crime drama.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters