Printer Friendly

TOUGH GUY!; James hurt after scoring.

Leicester eased through to the third round of the Coca-Cola Cup without hardly having to break sweat at Filbert Street last night.

With a two goal cushion from the first leg, the Premiership side added to their advantage just before half-time.

But James Lawrence paid the price for scoring a spectacular goal.

Transfer-listed Lawrence raced into the six yard box and produced a superb diving header to flash Neil Lewis's cross beyond Scarborough keeper Ian Ironside.

But the 26-year-old defender lay motionless after suffering an awkward fall, and was immediately stretchered off to be replaced by German trialist Sasha Lenhart.

Leicester began the tie with a two goal cushion secured from the first leg, and rarely looked in any trouble, despite plenty of effort from the Third Division underdogs.

Filbert Street boss Martin O'Neill warned his players not to be complacent, despite their seemingly easy passage into the third round.

There was little sign of complacency, although Leicester played as if they always had something in reserve if they needed to up the pace.

The tie suddenly came to life five minutes before the break with Lawrence's excellent goal.

O'Neill made six changes from the side which beat Spurs at the weekend. He was unable to call on strike pair Ian Claridge and Ian Marshall.

Claridge was still suffering the effects of an ankle injury picked up at White Hart Lane while recent signing Marshall was Cup-tied.

Scarborough, knowing they needed an early goal to give themselves any chance, built confidently through midfield and keeper Kevin Poole, in for his first game of the season, had to move swiftly to snatch Rob Hanby's cross off the head of the onrushing Richard Lucas.

Lewis's speed down the left proved a constant problem for the visitors, but invariably his crosses were not good enough to produce a positive result.

Skipper Steve Walsh nearly broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute after Mark Robins was brought down by Jason Rockett on the edge of the area. While the Scarborough defensive wall was still trying to organise itself, Walsh stepped up to take a free kick and knocked the ball just fractionally wide of Ironside's left hand post.

Andy Ritchie pulled a goal back for battlingScarborough in the 77th minute.In the closing seconds Garry Parker scored from the penalty spot for Leicester.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Author:White:, Peter
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Sep 26, 1996
Previous Article:Front to back Lee.
Next Article:Saints stroll.

Related Articles
Sochaux coach warns on Dinamo.
Football: You have got a big role for me; Keegan's message as England snub Smith.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters