TODDLER DIES AFTER DRINKING FRUIT SMOOTHIE.
A 16-month-old girl died Friday after drinking unpasteurized fruit juice linked to an E. coli outbreak across the West.
Anna Gimmestad is believed to be the first person to die in the outbreak, which began last month.
The California-based maker of the juice, Odwalla Inc., has since recalled 16 of its fruit drinks, which are thought to have infected five people in Colorado and 44 in California, Washington state and Canada.
Anna was admitted to Children's Hospital on Oct. 16 and died after going into cardiac and respiratory arrest, said spokeswoman Jenny Kolquist. Anna had severe kidney problems, and her heart had stopped several times in recent days.
Although the E. coli infection has not been confirmed by laboratory tests, health officials strongly believe Anna was infected with the bacteria, said Dr. Richard Hoffman, a state epidemiologist.
Anna fell ill with bloody diarrhea after drinking a Smoothie, an Odwalla bottled juice drink. Her illness, known as hemolytic uremic syndrome, is a known complication of E. coli O157:H7 bacteria, whose presence was confirmed in Odwalla fruit drinks.
A blood sample from Anna was sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing.
``Our hearts go out to the family, and our primary concern at this moment is to see that we are doing everything we can to help them,'' Odwalla chairman Greg Steltenpohl said in a statement.
Odwalla produces fresh fruit and vegetable juices that are made without pasteurization, preservatives or concentrates.
Photo: Anna Gimmestad
1st death tied to E. coli
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily News (Los Angeles, CA)|
|Date:||Nov 9, 1996|
|Previous Article:||PRESIDENT NAMES N.C. BUSINESSMAN AS NEXT CHIEF OF STAFF.|
|Next Article:||JUICE FIRM SUED BY FAMILY OF BOY INFECTED WITH E. COLI.|