WILLIAM Lane Foundry was founded in 1862 by the three Lanes; William, a brass finisher; John, a brass moulder; and James, a blacksmith.
The original Foundry was located in Stockton-on-Tees but by 1895 the business had outgrown the plot and moved to its rightful location in the heart of Middlesbrough's iron district.
The new timber-framed buildings enclosed three coke furnaces, a substantial improvement on the Stockton site, and the business went from strength to strength, serving the many nearby iron and steel businesses of booming industrial Middlesbrough.
By 1939, with the Second World War raging, the old timber-framed building was deemed unfit for purpose and the current building, with seven coke furnaces, was constructed onsite.
Production continued through much of the 20th century and though the last remaining Lane, Roy, left the business in 1984, the foundry endured the shifting currents of British industry to become the last operational business in an area that once boasted of more than 140 separate foundries.
Although the original coke furnaces were finally retired in 2001, the 1895 Victorian foundry has just recently been uncovered.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)|
|Date:||Aug 14, 2017|
|Previous Article:||Moving forward and cherishing skills; Mike Hughes once again looks into the flames of a restarted furnace to hear from workers who have...|
|Next Article:||Party spending revealed.|