Printer Friendly

THREE life sentences; Rapist who wanted to be caught gets his wish.

An evil rapist so sickened by his own attacks that he wanted to be caught was given three life sentences yesterday.

Carl Royal, 28, told police he had an uncontrollable "instinct" to rape, but hated what he was doing and left vital clues to help detectives track him.

Royal - dubbed the Chiswick Rapist - admitted three rapes and six charges of indecent assault during an eight-month reign of terror in west London. The attacks were carried out on five young women, but police believe there were other victims who were too frightened to come forward.

The Old Bailey heard how Royal gave an engraved claw pendant to one victim in the hope she would take it to police.

"He knew it could lead to him being traced," said Patrick O'Connor QC, defending. "He feels deep shame and self-disgust for what he has done."

Royal, of Hammersmith, west London, told police: "I can't help myself. I did not intend to go out raping people. I need a doctor to sort myself out."

He said he had handed over the pendant to give his victim the "inspiration" to report his attack to police.

Royal - who was high on drugs and drink when he carried out the attacks - also left fingerprints at the scene of the first rape.

But it was still eight months before he was caught, despite the fact he had a record for sex offences and was living in a rehabilitation hostel for recently released prisoners.

Judge Ann Goddard told him: "You brought terror and degradation to your victims almost impossible to describe. You are likely to be a danger to the public for the forseeable future."

Four of Royal's victims were so traumatised they have been forced to leave London and start new lives. One sat in the public gallery and wept as he was sentenced. His first attack came in June last year when a 29-year-old secretary awoke in her Chiswick flat at 4.30am to find him standing over her in a stocking mask.

He bound and blindfolded her before subjecting her to a degrading sex ordeal. Finally, she was raped.

On January 7, Royal grabbed a 27-year-old student from behind as she walked home in the early hours. He forced her into a garden and raped her.

Three days later he snatched a waitress aged 25 off a Chiswick street. He held a knife to her neck and said: "Do you feel this. Don't make any noise if you want to remain pretty."

He led her into a garden and sexually assaulted her. It was she who was given the pendant. She did take it to police and it helped trap Royal.

On February 17 he attacked a student in her Fulham flat, but ran off when disturbed. Hours later he broke into the flat of a 23-year-old personal assistant in Acton and attacked her.

Yesterday Judge Goddard told him his earliest possible release date would be 2006.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:Turner, Lucy
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Jul 27, 1996
Previous Article:I'M GIVING UP TV WIND-UPS; Beadle says HE chopped show.
Next Article:Fury over Camilla roadblock.

Related Articles
THESE MONSTERS MUST PAY FOR THEIR CRIMES; You back rape victim Elaine's bid to keep beasts behind bars.
Schoolboy, 12, jailed for raping 10-year-old lad.
Evening Gazette Opinion.
You say: Distorted justice.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters |