THE UK DID HAND OVER 2 TORTURE FLIGHT SUSPECTS.
THE UK handed over two terror suspects to the US for torture flights, it was revealed yesterday.
Defence Secretary John Hutton admitted British forces in Iraq gave two men to the US for "extraordinary rendition" to Afghanistan, where torture is carried out.
The Government claims never to have taken part in the practice.
But Mr Hutton said officials knew about the incident in 2004.
He said: "Lengthy papers went to then Foreign Secretary Jack Straw andHomeSecretary Charles Clarke." In a statement to MPs, he added: "It is clear the transfer to Afghanistan of two individuals should have been questioned."
Lib Dem foreign affairs spokesman Edward Davey called for "an immediate investigation into officials who knew of this transfer".
Shami Chakrabarti, of Liberty, demanded a public inquiry "into this whole poisonous episode".
Yesterday's statement came as it emerged the men, members of a group linked to al-Qaeda, are still being held. Mr Hutton said: "The US has categorised them as unlawful enemy combatants."
US senators plan to investigate allegations of torture under George W. Bush after President Obama vowed to end the practice.
Last year, Foreign Secretary David Miliband admitted US rendition flights refuelled on a UK territory in the Indian Ocean.
PAPERS Straw and Clarke
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The Mirror (London, England)|
|Date:||Feb 27, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Maze pounds 70m 'will go to other sites' SPORTS.|
|Next Article:||NO EXCUSES; 'I'm sure it was a terrible shock to the parents of my Michael's killers when police came to their door.. but I'll never forgive their...|