Printer Friendly

THE KING'S COLLEGE TO SELL BRIARCLIFF CAMPUS TO AN IRISH-AMERICAN GROUP, MOVE TO STERLING FOREST IN 1993

 THE KING'S COLLEGE TO SELL BRIARCLIFF CAMPUS
 TO AN IRISH-AMERICAN GROUP, MOVE TO STERLING FOREST IN 1993
 BRIARCLIFF MANOR, N.Y., Aug. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- The King's College today announced that it has contracted to sell its campus here to the Tara Circle, Inc., an Irish-American cultural and sports association, and will move to its new location in Sterling Forest, Warwick Township, N.Y., in June 1993.
 Dr. Friedhelm Radandt, president of the college, said the sale signals the end of a long period of uncertainty, during which school officials sought to sell the Briarcliff campus.
 "For the students, alumnae and friends of The King's College, the events of the past two years are nothing less than an answered prayer. We simply needed a facility better suited to the needs of a modern college campus -- strategically located, with more room for growth. We have found all these at Sterling Forest. At the same time, our Briarcliff Manor campus, which was originally a resort and recreation center, will return to a usage closer to its historical roots. It should be an ideal facility for the new owner," said Radandt.
 The new 310-acre campus includes a modern 200,000 square foot building that will serve as the educational and administrative center of the college. Though the total value of the site -- including replacement cost of the building -- is estimated at more than $30 million, King's acquired the former International Nickel Company research facility site for $12.4 million, with no initial outlay, by assuming a mortgage.
 "Sale of the college's Westchester properties is expected to yield over $18 million," said Radandt, "allowing us to retire the mortgage on the Briarcliff campus and to pay off much of the mortgage on the Sterling Forest site. We have 'traded up' as our real estate friends would say it, at virtually no cost to The King's College. The costs will come, of course, in preparing the new campus and moving to it."
 The King's College is a small Christian liberal arts college with a distinguished record of both academic leadership and athletic excellence.
 For a small school, its faculty is unusually strong. Collectively, faculty members have authored more than 35 books, contributed chapters in another 18 books, written 250 scholarly articles and presented more than 250 papers at professional conventions.
 In athletics, the 460-student college also excels. The Purple Knights and the Lady Knights last year fielded NAIA district championship/playoff teams in men's and women's basketball, men's soccer and women's volleyball. The men's basketball team went to the NAIA national championship tourney. The men's cross country team was the NAIA District 31 champion and two women runners went to the NAIA nationals.
 A ministry of community service is also important at a Christian college, and The King's students give of their time to work with the homeless, with the elderly, with AIDS victims, in prisons and in extension and missions programs worldwide.
 Work will soon begin to prepare the Sterling Forest campus for full operation in 1993. More definitive information will be announced as it becomes available.
 The King's College
 A Brief Chronology
 Beginnings
 -- The King's College (TKC) was founded by evangelist Percy Crawford in Sept. 1938, to be a Christian liberal arts college stressing both Biblical studies and the liberal arts. The King is Jesus the Messiah, the King of Kings.
 -- First home was 90-acre Guglielmo Marconi research facility in Belmar, N.J., where Marconi conducted his wireless experiments in an earlier day.
 -- The college opened with a faculty of eleven and 67 freshmen. Tuition, room and board for the academic years was $400.
 -- That year, the "worst storm in 50 years," hit the Jersey coast.
 -- The King's College lost its lease on the Marconi facility when the U.S. Army took it over at the beginning of World War II to make it a radar station.
 The Delaware Years
 -- The Kings' College purchased the historic estate and mansion of Major Phillip Reybold in Delaware City, Del., in 1941 and moved to its new campus that fall.
 -- The first graduating class of TKC graduated at the Delaware City campus in June 1942. The student body numbered 104 at the time, 31 of whom were graduating seniors.
 -- During the war, the student body was overwhelmingly female and women's basketball was the lone team to represent the school in intercollegiate sports.
 -- During this period, the school's world renowned musical program began to blossom, a natural development as the evangelistic efforts of founder Percy Crawford -- and his wife Ruth -- featured a strong music ministry,
 -- The end of the war brought an influx of GI Bill students that enabled facilities expansion and a revival of the sports program.
 -- In 1946, The King's College choir toured New England and made its first radio broadcast from the college chapel, over WIBG, Philadelphia, and WILM, Wilmington.
 -- In May 1950, Hollywood actress Colleen Townsend, who had given up a promising film career to devote her time to Christian work, was the star of "Lord of All," an evangelistic and recruiting film shot on the Wilmington campus.
 (Townsend went on to marry Louis Evans, Jr., pastor of Washington's National Presbyterian Church. She was the commencement speaker at TKC in May 1987).
 -- In 1953 and 1954, Tidewater Associated Oil Company began quietly buying up the property surrounding the idyllic and historic TKC site with the intention to build an oil refinery on the property. In 1955, TKC reluctantly sold its property to Tidewater and intensified its search for a new campus.
 -- After considering sites in Cape May and Long Branch, N.J., the college administration settled on the 52-acre Briarcliff Lodge facility in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., which had housed both a prestigious early Twentieth Century resort hotel and a junior college for women. The purchase price was $380,000.
 The Briarcliff Manor Era
 -- The King's College moved to Briarcliff Manor in July 1955. Dedication ceremonies were held in October of that year.
 -- In 1957, TKC defeated Nyack in the first Christian College tournament held March 15 - 16 in the Peeksill Armory and the World Vision Missions Conference took place on the campus March 25-30.
 -- The school's new gymnasium was dedicated March 7, 1959.
 -- The school's founder and President, Percy Crawford, suffered a series of heart attacks and was called home to Glory on Oct. 31, 1960. A memorial service was held Nov. 6, in Philadelphia Town Hall. Billy Graham was the speaker. More than 2,500 jammed the 2,200-seat hall.
 -- C. Hans Evans was named interim president of TKC in July 1961.
 -- In March 1962, the board of trustees named Robert A. Cook to be the second president of The King's College. At the time, Cook had already had a long and distinguished career -- as a Baptist minister, as vice president for marketing of a Christian publishing company and as president of Youth for Christ. As president of The King's, Cook presided over a period of expansion and launched a successful radio ministry.
 -- In 1968, the Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities, the region's highest accrediting body, granted TKC its prized accreditation and the New York State Education Department certified the school's Elementary Education, Physical Education and Music Education majors.
 -- In 1985, Cook retired as president and was named Chancellor Emeritus. He moved to Bucks County, Pa., and continued his radio ministry, "Walk with The King," from there until his death in 1987.
 -- Also in 1985, in a time of great distress for private colleges nationwide and conservative Christian colleges in particular, Friedhelm Radandt took the helm as president of The King's College, with responsibility for steering it through the turbulent waters that clearly lay ahead.
 Radandt came to TKC from Northwestern College, where he had also been president. Radandt, a noted scholar and educator, has served on the faculties of the University of Chicago (from which he earned A.M. and Ph.D degrees in German Literature) and Lake Forest College. He is also a graduate of the Baptist Theological Seminary of Germany and was a regional youth secretary of the Baptist Churches of Northern Germany.
 -0- 8/10/92
 /CONTACT: Paul Neuman of King's College, 914-941-7200, or (home) 914-762-2773/ CO: King's College ST: New York IN: SU:


TS-CK -- NY016 -- 8408 08/10/92 10:06 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Aug 10, 1992
Words:1377
Previous Article:PAUL L. ROSENBAUM TO HEAD MASSACHUSETTS MICROELECTRONICS CENTER
Next Article:TRANSMEDIA NETWORK ANNOUNCES RECORD THIRD QUARTER AND NINE MONTH REVENUES; EARNINGS
Topics:


Related Articles
Designing the future of higher education.
King's College campus coming to the Empire State Building.
Touro snaps up campus site.
Colleges seek another way; EDUCATION: Principals weigh up options after town centre move plan is thrown out.
COLLEGE VOTES 'YES' TO MOVE; King Edward VI to share North Warwickshire and Hinckley's campus.
Colleges ditch plan for pounds 50m campus; EDUCATION: Back to the drawing board for ambitious co-location idea.
Putting a high priority on technology: a president's perspective on moving a nonprofit's headquarters to campus.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters