Printer Friendly

THE DAY WE KNEW WOULD COME: Hospital had to treat its own staff.

DOCTORS at Great Ormond Street children's hospital ended up treating their own staff caught in the terrorist bombing.

The canteen was turned into a makeshift accident and emergency room as casualties from the nearby bus blast began to arrive.

Staff there treated 22 adults. Eighteen people were admitted for further treatment.

Two needed surgery and one was admitted to the children's intensive care ward.

Last night, chief executive Dr Jane Collins said: 'A couple of people who came here were members of staff who had been coming in to work.

'Twenty-two adult patients were treated here.

'Eighteen of them were admitted and remain in hospital at the moment but we hope a number of them may go home relatively soon.

'Some will have to stay overnight because of the transport problems.

'I am amazed how well everyone has done. We are geared up for children but our staff were able to turn their hands to adults as well.

'For us to strip out the staff restaurant and get it set up for patients is pretty fantastic.'

The hospital cancelled clinics yesterday and today but stayed open for emergencies.

Emergency workers set up a medical command post in a Hilton Metropole hotel near Edgware Road subway station.

The reception and lounge bar were overrun with walking wounded and the injured.

Shopping trolleys filled with medical supplies were parked near reception as a steady stream of people was treated.

The Royal Free Hospital, Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals, St Mary's Hospital, and University College Hospital received most of the casualties.

And a convoy of buses carrying the injured arrived at the Royal London near Liverpool Street Station.

Ambulances were drafted in from Berkshire, Essex, Surrey and other areas nearby.

Scores of ambulances lined up at Edgware Road station.

London Ambulance Service said they were only sending ambulances to patients across the capital with life-threatening illnesses or injuries


RUSH: Staff help a victim
COPYRIGHT 2005 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Date:Jul 8, 2005
Previous Article:THE DAY WE KNEW WOULD COME: TERROR ON TTHE TUBE; Victims yelled 'We're going to die.
Next Article:THE DAY WE KNEW WOULD COME: My hell in tunnel as bomb went off.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters