TDK Develops and Begins Mass Production of High-Reliability Inverter Transformers for Liquid Crystal Display Backlights.
Demand for liquid crystal displays used in electronic devices such as car navigation systems and notebook personal computers has grown rapidly. As displays become larger and thinner, electronic components must be mounted in increasingly limited spaces. There are calls for the high-voltage transformers that are essential for switching on liquid crystal display backlights in particular to be made smaller, thinner, and lighter. In addition, their use in portable devices such as car navigation systems is also increasing, requiring high reliability under the harsh conditions of automotive use.
To meet these needs, TDK conducted fundamental reviews of manufacturing techniques including the adoption of high temperature resistant wire for winding wire and using laser welding to join the internal contacts. The result was the development of an inverter that is reliable even under demanding automobile environments.
- High temperature resistant wire is used for the winding wire to achieve reliability under harsh automotive environments.
- Laser welding is used for internal joins to provide high reliability.
- A sectionless bobbin is used to create a compact, low-profile unit.
- Suitable for automatic mounters.
- Backlights for liquid crystal displays used in car navigation systems, notebook personal computers, and other electronic devices.
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 39.0 mm x 9.0 mm x 4.8 mm (max.)
- Leakage inductance: 150 mH - 300 mH
- Operating temperature: -30C - 130C (including temperature increase from self-generated heat)
Production and Sales Plan
- Sample price: 100 yen/unit
- Production location: Akita region
- Production capacity: 2 million units/month
- Start of production: December 2007
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation (TSE: 6762; NYSE: TDK) is a leading global electronics company based in Japan. It was established in 1935 to commercialize "ferrite," a key material in electronics and magnetics. TDK's current product line includes ferrite materials, electronic components and ICs, wireless computer networking products, magnetic heads for HDD, digital recording hardware and advanced digital recording media. For more information, please visit http://www.tdk.co.jp/tetop01/index.htm
Source: TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation Corporate Communications Y. Osuga Tel.: +81-3-5201-7102
Japan Corporate News Network. All rights reserved.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Feb 13, 2008|
|Previous Article:||Renesas Technology, Sharp Corporation and Powerchip Semiconductor to Establish Joint Venture Specializing in Drivers and Controllers for Small- and...|
|Next Article:||CyberAgent Reports First Quarter Results; Net Sales Rise, Operating Income Doubles.|