Printer Friendly

Surveying engineers: Garver & Garver, with staff of 92, is Arkansas' largest engineering firm.

The Oct. 8 defeat of Little Rock 2000 was disappointing for many Arkansas engineers.

Disappointment over the failure of Little Rock 2000 was balanced, however, by the Legislature's actions earlier this year. It approved increases in the gasoline tax of 5 cents per gallon and in the diesel fuel tax of 2 cents per gallon.

The new fuel taxes will raise an estimated $71.4 million per year. Of that money, 70 percent will go to the state Highway and Transportation Department. The remaining 30 percent will be split between cities and counties.

One of the major beneficiaries of the tax increases will be the Little Rock engineering firm Garver & Garver. It is a diverse firm involved in bridge, runway, industrial and highway projects.

The firm recently completed work on the Cherokee Turnpike, which connects Tulsa, Okla., to northwest Arkansas. Garver & Garver previously designed a section of U.S. 71 in west Arkansas from Fort Smith to Fayetteville.

The new tax money enabled the firm to ink a contract for an additional segment of U.S. 71.

Garver & Garver, with a staff of 92, is the largest engineering firm in the state. It is also one of the oldest.

The firm was founded in 1919 by Neal Garver, a professor of structural engineering at the University of Illinois. Garver came to Arkansas on leave of absence to work on a picric acid plant for the munitions industry.

Neal Garver was joined in 1952 by his son, Mark Garver. Both are deceased.

Non-Resident Increase

The number of engineers registered in Arkansas is increasing, according to the state Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.

The largest increase is occurring among non-residents. Between March 1990 and this month, the number of resident engineers increased by 49.

The number of non-resident engineers increased by 181 for the same period.
ENGINEERS AND LAND SURVEYORS
March 1990
 Non-
 Resident Resident Total
Engineers 1,804 2,757 4,561
Engineers-In-Training 532 472 1,004
Land Surveyors 553 304 857
Land Surveyors-In-Training 75 15 90
ENGINEERS AND LAND SURVEYORS
October 1991
 Non-
 Resident Resident Total
Engineers 1,853 2,938 4,791
Engineers-In-Training 634 513 1,147
Land Surveyors 464 151 615
Land Surveyors-In-Training 43 11 54
Source: State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers
and Land Surveyors
COPYRIGHT 1991 Journal Publishing, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1991 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Arkansas Business Rankings
Author:Gibson, Carolyn
Publication:Arkansas Business
Date:Oct 21, 1991
Words:383
Previous Article:Are you guilty? Sex, laws and work-place rape - the issue of sexual harassment emerges from the closet.
Next Article:Internal changes: IRS attempts to create a good-guy image.
Topics:


Related Articles
Garver + Garver makes ENR top 500 for the 10th time.
Satisfying clients: repeat business the foundation of LR's Garver & Garver Inc.
Garver + Garver celebrates 75 years of service.
CEI tops engineering list again; Garver is second.
Garver & Garver expanding into new markets.
Garver & Garver, Cromwell firms state's largest.
Garver leads engineers, Butcher tops architects.
Garver, Cromwell remain largest engineering, architectural firms.
Garver firm grows to survive: state's largest engineering firm planning to add 20-plus jobs.
Herbert Parker named Engineer of the Year.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters