Printer Friendly

Super Steve the lone star; MAN CITY 0 WOLVES 1.

Lone ranger Steve Bull shot down City after they had almost swamped Wolves with a blistering first-half show.

This win, craftily planned by manager Mark McGhee, lifted Wolves into fourth spot in the First Division.

Bull had been the sole attacker, raiding alone yet always threatening danger.

City spent the first-half battering at the Wolves defensive door, which was locked tight.

Then, in the 76th minute, Bull silenced the 27,000 crowd when he struck his winner.

Dennis Pearce hit a long ball down the middle and, as Kit Symons faltered, Bull broke past him in a flash.

Bull swept into the box to fire a low, unstoppable shot just inside a post. It was his ninth of the season.

He waved in celebration to his manager as if to say: "It's all worked out so right."

But it was cruel for City, who dominated most of the match and got nothing.

City manager Steve Coppell paid tribute to Bull, saying: "We knew beforehand that if we could stop him for the whole of the match, we would stop Wolves.

"For 89-and-a-half minutes we did keep hold of him.

"That one moment cost us the game. Yet it was a great finish."

Bull revelled in his lone role and said: "That's the way the manager wants me and the team to play, so I was on my own up front.

"It's hard work but that's what I'm paid for.

"We won today and the manager's tactics worked perfectly. I got the goal but the fact that we won matters most."

McGhee said: "We set out to play that sort of game with just Steve up front and it came off.

"He did a terrific job for us and scored a cracking goal. But everybody played a part and we packed the midfield and finally it frustrated City."

Bull had so nearly scored in the 65th minute when he lobbed just a fraction too high with City keeper Andy Dibble a horrified spectator.

But the Wolves defence had to survive some pitiless pressure in a first- half when City attacked relentlessly.

After only two minutes it did not seem possible that Steve Lomas could miss from six yards.

Uwe Rosler pulled the bull back from the by-line but Lomas screwed the chance just wide.

After 25 minutes Wolves keeper Mike Stowell just managed to push out a drive from Paul Dickov that looked a certain goal.

Only seconds later 17-year-old Jeff Whitley - what a prospect he is - crashed a 25-yard shot against a post.

City had Wolves rocking but they couldn't finish them off.

Coppell said: "I couldn't fault my players. They gave me everything but we just couldn't crack it up front."
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Author:Johnson, Alec
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Oct 28, 1996
Previous Article:WONDERWAL.

Related Articles
Football: Salford bank on Blakeley.
Greyhounds: Curtis honoured at Hove annual awards night.
Rugby League: Wolves' Kiwi star is named despite injury doubt.
Rugby League: Wolves welcome back Morley for Bulls encounter; Bradford v Warrington Tomorrow, kick-off 3pm.
Time to celebrate those men of steel; Stars in the reckoning for rugby honour.
Rugby League: King KO fails to de-rail Warrington's super start.
Noble: No complaints over Mathers' red; Rugby round-up.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters