Sunset's 1999 idea house.
* Welcome to our 1999 idea house, which occupies an oak-studded knoll above San Francisco Bay in the new Cupertino, California, community of Oak Valley Estates. A joint venture between Sunset and the O'Brien Group, a San Mateo, California, developer, it's the ultimate "home on the range."
An identifiably Western home that's rooted in tradition but reaching toward tomorrow, the house provides inspiration for anyone who plans to remodel or redecorate. We asked Newport Beach, California, architect Frank Stolz (see page 135) to reinterpret the ranch house concept - embodied in the one-story, porch-and-patio-oriented designs of the 1940s and 1950s - using today's materials and finishes. "The key idea is that each major room opens to an exterior space," he says. Team partners included San Francisco interior designer Ann Jones and Walnut Creek, California, landscape architect Jim Ripley.
The design seems both fresh and familiar. The towerlike structure is reminiscent of water towers on old California ranches, but it's actually a high-tech home office. And the shingle siding gives a traditional look with a new nonwood product that's fire-resistant and impervious to weather.
the floor plan
The house is organized as a series of flexible hubs or activity centers linked to multiple courtyards and porches. The kitchen is the largest hub: the dining room, family room, morning room, and living room open to it. Nearby are the dining patio - complete with outdoor kitchen - and the entertaining terrace. The children's den functions as the secondary hub, for games or computer work; it can also serve as an extra bedroom. It's surrounded by two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a laundry room, and a porch.
A trellis-covered walkway connects the house with the garage-casita, where there is room for one car in addition to the home office. This space can be adapted as a guest suite. The main two-car garage opens to the mudroom, which doubles as a recycling center and potting area.
You can order a complete set of Sunset 1999 Idea House plans, source code SSIH-99, by calling (800) 820-1283; cost is $714 for the first set of blueprints, $744 for four sets, $789 for eight sets. Shipping and handling costs and applicable taxes are extra.
* 5,515 square feet of living space (including garages) designed to maximize views and outdoor living
* 2 garages - 1 for two cars; 1 for one car - demarcate a motor court
* Master suite with vestibule, walk-in closet, double-door "shower island," whirlpool tub, 2 sinks
* 2 more bathrooms and 3 powder rooms
* Family room with fireplace and media center
* Veranda off the family room
* Morning room/lanai
* Dining patio with outdoor kitchen
* Formal dining room
* Living room with fireplace and doors opening to entertaining terrace
* Library off the living room
* 2 bedrooms with access to the front porch: either can function as a home office, den, or guest room
* Children's den or extra bedroom
* Linen storage hall
* Casita that can function as a home office or workshop
* Laundry room
* Mudroom/recycling center
GENERAL PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Hardware: Ace Hardware (www.acehardware.com); lighting: Thompson Electric (925/837-5100); lighting control system: Leviton Manufacturing (800/323-8920); painting: Five Star Painting (408/971-2207); skylights: Velux-America (800/283-2831); slate: Agorra Building Supply, Inc. (925/829-2200); windows and sliding doors: Pella (800/847-3552).
EXTERIOR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
* GENERAL. Landscape contractor: Mike McCall Landscape (925/313-8700); plants: Monrovia Nursery (888/752-6848); potting soil and soil conditioner: Supersoil; roofing: Owens Corning (800/438-7465); siding: James Hardie (888/842-7343); stone: Cultured Stone (800/644-4487); tools and hardware: Ace Hardware (www.acehardware.com).
INTERIORS AND FURNISHINGS
* GENERAL. Cabinets: Canac (800/226-2248); carpet: Karastan (800/234-1120 ext.7734); closet and office systems: California Closets (888/336-9704); clothing: Mervyn's California (800/637-8967); comforters & pillows: Pacific Coast Feather (206/336-2323); computers, printers, scanners, fax/copier: Hewlett-Packard (www.hp.com); decorative painting: Laura Smith Blair Designs (415/505-8001); drywall: S&S Drywall (408/294-4393); floor installation: Interiors & Textiles (650/493-1700); flowers: FTD (650/363-0524); floral designer: Jill Slater Floral Design (650/363-0524); framing: Larson-Juhl (800/886-6126); heating,air conditioning, clean air filters: Lennox Industries (800/953-6669); mirrors: JW Bank (650/593-2171); orchids: Rod McLellan Co. (800/467-2443); paint: Infinity Paints by Horn,Base (800/481-2273); plumbing fixtures & faucets: Kohler Co. (800/456-4537); rugs: Karastan (800/234-1120 ext. 7734); sound system: Sound Perfection (650/323-1000); telephones: Siemens (www.siemenscordless.com).
* BOY'S BATH. Countertop: Corian (800/426-7426,800/660-4167); flooring: Pickering Flooring (888/742-5001); jar: Pier I Imports (800/447-4371); "junk" knob: Bauerware (415/864-3886); paint color: Faux Pearl; sconce: Rejuvenation Lamp and Fixture Co. (888/343-8548); shower surround: Corian; towel rack: Pier I Imports.
* BOY'S BEDROOM. Beds, table: Scandinavian Design (408/255-5900); clock: Target (800/800-8800); feather bed: Pacific Coast Feather; lamp: Exposures Homes (877/805-5890); paint color: Cactus Blooms; quilt & pillows: Sonya Lee Barrington (415/221-6510); skateboard: Freebord (415/285-2673); snowboard, boots, helmet, backpack: Burton (www.burton.com); surfboard: O'Neill Surf Shop (831/475-415 I); window blinds: Hunter Douglas (800/937-7895).
* CASITA OFFICE. Baskets: Palecek (800/274-7730); chair: Herman Miller (616/654-3860); desk accessories: Pier I Imports; fan: Casablanca Fan Co. (888/227-2178); flooring: Pickering Flooring; paint color: Yellow Bisque; Ranch house rendering: David A. Suplee (800/845-7637); sofa: Hickory Chair (800/349-4579).
* CASITA POWDER ROOM. Paint color: Acid Washed; sconce: Rejuvenation Lamp and Fixture Co.; towel rack: J. Jill (800/752-1112).
* CHILDRENS' DEN & PORCH, Balls & baskets: Palecek; CD rack, globe, table: Pier I Imports; chairs & ottoman: Ethan Allen (800/228-9229); clocks: Ethan Allen; flooring: Pickering Flooring; hammock: Pawley's Island (800/643-3522); lamp: Target (800/800-8800); paint color: Chambray; trellis: Smith & Hawken (800/776-3336); window blinds: Hunter Douglas.
* DECK. Bird feeder: Smith & Hawken; decking: Trex (800/289-8739); furniture: Willow Mania (888/945-5696); picnic table: Barbara Butler (415/864-6840).
* DINING PATIO. Accessories, cooking tools, tablesettings: Pier I Imports; beverage center: GE Monogram (800/626-2000); counter top: Corian; furniture: Lane Venture (800/235-3558); grill: Weber (888/337-8664, 800/999-3237); mat: Palecek; planters: Dura Art Stone (800/821-1120); spices: Pier I Imports.
* DINING ROOM. Art glass: Cohn-Stone Studios (510/654-9690); Cottura (800/348-6608); cabinet, chairs, table: Mike San Francisco (415/567-2700); chandelier: Splady Art Studios (510/534-1118); candles: Pier I Imports; chair fabric-gold: Giant Textiles (206/725-4444); chair fabric-green: Pindler & Pindler (805/531-9090); dishes, placemats, napkins, rings: Pier I Imports; flatware & glassware: Oneida (800/877-6667); flooring, wood: Harris-Tarkett (800/842-7816); glass shelf: David Ruth (510/533-8528); paint color: Cottonwood with glaze; photographs: Randal Orr (available through Traywick Gallery 510/527-1214).
* ENTRY. Consoles: Mike San Francisco.
* FAMILY ROOM. Baskets: Palecek, Pier I Imports; candle holders, coasters: Target (800/800-8800); candleholders, stone: J. Jill; chair: Mike San Francisco; flooring, wood: Harris-Tarkett; fireplace: Lennox Industries; home theatre & sound system: Sound Perfection (650/323- 1000); lamps: Ethan Allen, Pier I Imports; rug: Karastan; sofa, pillows: Ethan Allen; tables, step & tray: Lane (800/750-5263).
* FRONT PORCH. Chairs: Lane Venture; door: Feather River Wood & Glass Co. (800-395-3667); mat: Palecek; pots: Smith & Hawken; tables: Pier I Imports.
* GALLERY/HALLWAY. Art glass: Cottura; paint color: Cottonwood, Asparagus Soup; rugs: Karastan.
* GARAGE/DRIVEWAY. Automobile: Acura (800/862-2872); shelves, urns: Palecek; tools, hardware & workbench: Ace Hardware.
* GIRL'S BATHROOM. Accessories: Pier I Imports; countertop & shower surround: Corian; flooring: Pickering Flooring; glass/chrome containers: Pier I Imports; knobs: Bauerware; paint color: Tea Time; sconce: Rejuvenation Lamp and Fixture Co.
* GIRL'S BEDROOM. Birdbath, pot, photo frame: Pier I Imports; birds: Palecek; cans: Smith & Hawken; clock: Target; clothing: Mervyn's California; comforter & pillows: Pacific Coast Feather; fabrics, duvet, shams, shade: Ethan Allen; furniture: Maine Cottage from ZIA (510/528-2377); lamp: Scandinavian Designs; paint color: Bittersweet Orange; tray: Palecek; window blinds: Hunter Douglas.
* HERB GARDEN. Bird houses: Smith & Hawken, Wild Birds Unlimited (408/2525712); galvanized buckets, birdbath, cans, gloves, cloches, obelisks, potting bench: Smith & Hawken.
* KITCHEN. Appliances: GE Monogram; bottled oils: Two Sisters Gourmet Collection (800/282-7058); cabinets: Canac; chalkboard panels: Morrison School Supply (650/592-3000); cookware, cutlery, tools, utensils/holder, small appliances: Michael Graves Design available at Target; counter top, copper: Splady Art Studios; counter tops/butcher block: John Boos & Co. (217/347-7701); food: Safeway; glassware: Oneida (800/877-6667), Pier I Imports; knobs & pulls: Ann Sacks Tile & Stone (800/278-8453); mobile island: Economy Restaurant Design (800/323-3384); paint color: Cottonwood; plates: Pier I Imports, Smith & Hawken; skylight: Velux-America; stools: Palecek; wall clock: Target; water filtration system: GE.
* LAUNDRY ROOM. Baskets: Palecek; counter top: Corian; down blanket, pillow & soap: Pacific Coast Feather; flooring: Pickering Flooring; knobs: Bauerware, Canac; paint color: Powdered Gold; washer & dryer: GE Profile.
* LIBRARY. Art glass: Cohn-Stone Studios; Cottura; balls, baskets, dolls, figures: Palecek; bookends, glass urns: Pier I Imports; books: J.A.G. Staging (650/858-8100); candlesticks, saddle, mandolin, woven vase: Courtyard Collection (650/327-3132); furniture: Lexington Furniture (800/539-4636); lamps: Lucid Lighting (609/397-9581); paint color: Saddlebag brown; paintings: R. Kenton Nelson through Artworks (626/449-3840); wood box: Pier I Imports; woven baskets: Ethan Allen.
* LIVING ROOM. Art glass: Cohn-Stone Studios, Satava (530/345-7985); crystal glasses: Oneida; fireplace: McNear Brick & Block (415/454-6811); fireplace accessories & screen: Okell's Fireplace (415/626-1110); fireplace surround: Shoreline Architectural Concrete (707/836-8901); flooring, wood: Harris-Tarkett; furniture: Lexington Furniture Ind.; lamps: Ethan Allen; oak bowls, carved trees: The Turning Point (209/728-1000); paint color: Cottonwood; painting: Georgia Kalnin (415/868-2053); piano: Sherman Clay's Piano Max (408/492-9970); polaroid transfers: Randall Orr; rug: Karastan; tray, metal: Pier I Imports; tray, stone pots: Courtyard Collection
* MASTER SUITE & VESTIBULE. Clock & silver frames: Target; curtains, duvet cover, shams, bolster & pillows: Ethan Allen; accessories, furniture, lamps, mirrors: Ethan Allen; mug: Pier I Imports; paint color: Cottonwood, Stone Bloom; painting & sketch: Laura Smith Blair Designs; pots: Cocuchas (970/876-5315); tray table, basket: Palececk; window shade: Hunter Douglas.
* MASTER BATHROOM. Audubon prints, framed mirrors: Larson-Juhl; bath accessories, gels, soaps: Pier I Imports; bench fabric: Ethan Allen; candles, glass canisters, shelf: Pier I Imports; countertops: Corian; knobs: Ann Sacks Tile & Stone; lotions, J.A. G. Staging; radiant heat: Lennox Industries, Light Energy Systems (800/559-7652); roman shade: Ethan Allen; sconces: Bay Lighting and Design (415/552-4110); silver plates: Oneida; towels: Exposures Homes; window shade: Hunter Douglas.
* MASTER CLOSET. Clothing: Mervyn's California; frame: Mervyn's California; jars: Pier I Imports.
* MORNING ROOM/LANAI & KITCHEN OFFICE. Chairs & table: Palecek; chandelier: Jim Misner Lighting Design (415/928-0400); chargers, tumblers: Exposures Homes; flatware, glasses, silver bowls, plates & candles: Oneida; paint color: Cottonwood; plates: Pier I Imports, Smith & Hawken; rug: Karastan.
* MUD ROOM & HALLWAY. Branding irons: Larson Juhl; cabinet pulls: Bauerware; clock: Lane Eddie Bauer (800/750-5263); coat rack: J. Jill; counter top: Corian; flooring: Pickering Flooring; paint color: Sierra Sorrel; painting: James Leonard through Larson Juhl; sconce: Rejuvenation Lamp and Fixture Co.; shears: Smith & Hawken; skylight: Velux-America.
* POOL PATIO. Dishes, flatware, glasses: Oneida; dominoes: Smith & Hawken; door mats: Palecek; furniture: Lane Venture; gardening tools/hoses: Ace Hardware; grill: Weber; planted chair and table: The Garden Gallery (916/444-1844); planters: Dura Art Stone; plants: Monrovia; pool: Creative Environments (925/837-2715); pool fence: Eskott Removable Fencing (800/337-5688); sculptures: A New Leaf Gallery (510/525-7621); sculpture, dog: Albert Guibara (650/341-4332); tiles: Ann Sacks Tile & Stone; weathervane: West Coast Weather Vanes (800/762-8736).
* POWDER ROOM, GUEST CLOSET GALLERY HALLWAY. Chest: Tansu Design Imports, Inc. (415/255-2204); closet system: California Closets; picture lights: Larson Juhl; sconce: Rejuvenation Lamp and Fixture Co.; seated figures: Palecek; wallpaper: Ethan Allen; wastebasket: Pier I Imports.
* SHADE GALLERY. Furniture: Lane Venture; terra cotta bowls: Smith & Hawken.
* SPA GARDEN. Spa: Hot Spring Portable Spas (800/319-6684); woven wire chaise: Loom Italia U.S.A. (516/537-7069).
1999 Idea House Key contributors
IDEA HOUSE SPONSORS
Ace Hardware Acura California Closets Canac Casablanca Fans Corian FTD GE Appliances Hewlett-Packard HomeBase Hot Spring Spas Hunter Douglas James Hardie Karastan Kohler Co. Lennox Industries Lane Venture Lexington Furniture Mervyn's California Oneida Pacific Coast Feather Pella Pickering Flooring Pier I Safeway Supersoil Brand Target Trex Easy Care Decking Velux-America, Inc. Weber Grills
BUILDER AND DEVELOPER
The O'Brien Group San Mateo, CA (650/377-0300)
South Coast Architects Newport Beach, CA (949/720-7022) For information about ordering plans, call 888-277-5588.
Ripley Design Group, Inc. Walnut Creek, CA (925/938-7377)
Ann Jones Interiors San Francisco, CA (415/552-1414)
Community Impact Palo Alto, CA (650/965-0242)
IDEA HOUSE TOURS
The Idea House is located in Oak Valley, Cupertino, CA and is open to the public I O-5 Sat-Sun through October 10. Admission $8 ($7 seniors). For more information, call 800/786-7375.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Gregory, Daniel; Bertelsen, Ann|
|Date:||Sep 1, 1999|
|Previous Article:||Party bites.|
|Next Article:||Amazing grapes.|