Suharto probe should end before election, says Habibie.
JAKARTA, Dec. 30 Kyodo Indonesian President B.J. Habibie hopes the
investigation into former President Suharto's alleged practices of
corruption during his 32 years in office should be completed before the
June 7 general election for the House of Representatives, Information
Minister Muhammad Yunus Yosfiah said Wednesday. ''He (Habibie)
stressed his hope that the investigation into former President Suharto
can be completed before the general election,'' the minister
said after a cabinet meeting. A team of the Attorney General's
Office is currently conducting investigations into Suharto and his
fortune, including his deposits totaling 23 billion rupiahs (about 3
million U.S. dollars) in two commercial banks and three state banks.
Suharto has said all the money was obtained legally, saying it came
from his pay, travel allowances and rent from two houses he owned. The
investigation has also focused on seven charitable foundations Suharto
chaired in a private capacity while he was president. The foundations,
officially under state control since last month, have an estimated
combined value of 4.1 trillion rupiah.