Printer Friendly

Students in flats block fire terror; TWIN BLAZES : Nearly 200 are evacuated in separate incidents.

Byline: By Kerry Beadling

ALMOST 200 Coventry students had to flee their flats in two separate fires last night.

More than 30 firefighters battled the first blaze for four hours at the six-storey Liberty Park building on Queen's Road, The Butts.

A television caught fire at 9pm and the heat caused an aerosol can to explode, spreading the blaze and shattering windows.

A student on the fourth floor, who had left her television on standby, heard a bang believed to be the television tube, and went back to find her room on fire.

The exploding aerosol caused flames to spread down a corridor and into a kitchen.

About 100 students in the privately-owned student accommodation were evacuated by the time fire officers arrived. No one was injured and the fire was under control by 10.30pm.

Radford Road watch commander Daniel Moynihan said: "Thankfully no one was injured but they were lucky.

"The force of the explosion had caused the window frames to be pushed out and there was smoke billowing out. There was a heavy fire door and the pressure from the blast had caused it to open out instead of in. It's caused thousands of pounds of damage.

"We've had a fire investigation team in and we're quite happy it was a fault with the television which caused it."

In the second, unrelated incident, crews dealt with a fire at another block of student flats on Manor House Drive, Coventry city centre, at 3am today. A cigarette set fire to a bin in a kitchen on the second floor of the eight storey Quandrant Hall.

About 80 students were evacuated and four fire crews and two officers in breathing apparatus put out the fire 45 within minutes.

No one was injured.

CAPTION(S):

DAMAGE...Boarding shows where the blast from an exploding aerosol can shattered a window at one of the student flats in the Liberty Park block, Queen's Road, Coventry (right)
COPYRIGHT 2006 Coventry Newpapers
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Coventry Evening Telegraph (England)
Date:Apr 24, 2006
Words:324
Previous Article:ENTERTAINERS TO HONOUR OUR LARRY; MEMORIAL: Terry Wogan to unveil plaque paying tribute to Nuneaton's favourite son.
Next Article:Car fire spreads to fence.


Related Articles
The pounds 11m great fire of Edinburgh.
Mystery over cause of blaze at city flats block.
TWO RESCUED IN FLAT BLAZE; DRAMA: Lucky-to-be-alive occupants left candles burning in lounge.
Two rescued after candles spark blaze.
HIGH RISE FIRE TERROR FOR CITY STUDENTS; EVACUATION: Crews battle to control blazes in tower blocks.
TV set starts fire in student block.
Flats fire terror for city students; EVACUATION: Crews battle for four hours to get blaze under control.
32 KIDS WERE ON THIS BUS; ..and, miraculously, they ALL escaped.
Boy,2, dies in fire.
Evacuation after blaze.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters