Student dies of suspected meningitis.
A NORTHUMBRIA university student has died of suspected meningococcal meningitis.
The student is believed to have died from meningococcal meningitis - a rare but life-threatening form of the disease - and fellow students are being warned to be aware of the symptoms.
A spokesperson for Northumbria University said: "We can confirm that one of our students has sadly passed away in hospital from suspected meningococcal meningitis. We offer our deepest condolences to her family and friends.
"Meningococcal bacteria do not spread easily and only people who have had prolonged, close contact with the ill person are at a slightly increased risk of becoming unwell. Those students and staff identi-fied as being in close contact in recent days have been offered antibiotics as a precautionary measure."
It mainly occurs in young children and young adults. Students are more at risk of getting meningitis just after starting university as they mix with new people who may unknowingly be carrying the meningococcal bacteria.
Symptoms of the disease include fever, vomiting, a severe headache or muscle pains and drowsiness. The disease can be fatal if it is not detected early.
Levi Pay, Head of Student Support and Wellbeing, said: "I would like to reassure students and staff that it is very unlikely that there is any risk to anyone other than those already contacted and offered antibiotics."